Pics of Very Old Atlas Filter (1950's?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are pics that I promised of a really old Atlas G-66 filter. Uncut...so far.

I was going to cut it to analyze the internals but I am now having second thoughts about putting a hacksaw to this relic. I may have more of these and if I can find them, I may feel better about sacrificing this one. Enjoy these external shots for now. I don't know the application of this one and I am guessing its from the late 50's or early 60's. Maybe someone here will be able to date it more precisely than I. I think this one looks to be in remarkable condition for its age.

100_0105.jpg

100_0107.jpg

100_0106.jpg

Gotta love that embossed "A"

100_0109.jpg

Very thorough instructions!

Last edited:
Looks like more flow on the return side compared to what is out there today. The downside to this is it needs another gasket on the inside. Thanks for the pix.

It cross references to a Wix 51038 for 1960-1969 Corvair. Wix doesn't show any other applications.

Edit: Before I pulled out my trusty Wix catalog, I googled Atlas G-66. The first hit in Google was miraCRD's two hour old post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650
It cross references to a Wix 51038 for 1960-1969 Corvair. Wix doesn't show any other applications.

Thanks for that info XS650...very interesting.

Edit: Before I pulled out my trusty Wix catalog, I googled Atlas G-66. The first hit in Google was miraCRD's two hour old post.

That is truly unreal! I googled it first too and came up with nothing...obviously because I had not created the post yet!

This is a great example of how cool google is. (Or is it scary?)

Neat! Would be interesting to see inside, though I doubt we will see much different than what we have today...

Here is a pic of the wix part:

31+9gUxAnjL._SL250_.jpg

Looks like the baseplate design is still around. Cross references to the Fram PH4, Purolater L20014, Wix 51038, etc... Very cool looking. I wouldn't cut it open either.
55.gif

L20014.jpg

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Looks like the baseplate design is still around. Cross references to the Fram PH4, Purolater L20014, Wix 51038, etc... Very cool looking. I wouldn't cut it open either.
55.gif

L20014.jpg

Looks like an early version of the Ecore ADBV/BPV combo design with the multiply holes in the base plate.
wink.gif

Amazing that the base plate design looks the same 50 years later.

dust it off and run it!!

j/k even I wouldn't run something that old.

someone needs to take one for the team and buy a new one and cut it open :D

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

The Purolator looks close but that Wix base plate looks EXACTLY the same as on the Atlas. Kinda unbelievable...

Originally Posted By: miraCRD

That is truly unreal! I googled it first too and came up with nothing...obviously because I had not created the post yet!

This is a great example of how cool google is. (Or is it scary?)

It is disappointing when you are looking for more information on something and all you find are posts you made to some forum.

Note, not all information is available for free on the net. Aren't there any better oil filter studies than the ones where somebody cut open a bunch of them and is speculating about their construction?

The Purolator looks close but that Wix base plate looks EXACTLY the same as on the Atlas. Kinda unbelievable...

Since Atlas was an oil company house brand, some other company probably actually made them.

Since Atlas was an oil company house brand, some other company probably actually made them.

Good point. I would not be at all surprised if this Atlas was made by Wix. They (Wix) were a pretty major player in the filter arena by this point, and other than the embossed "A" this Atlas looks almost exactly like the Wix pictured here.

I remember Atlas being the brand for Standard Oil in the midwest and Amoco east coast, and later in the midwest. Actually owned some Atlas tires on a 65 Falcon Wagon, circa 1970. Somewhere late 80's, early 90's, Amoco around here phased out the Atlas brand at the stations that still had bays and did mechanical work in the KC area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back