AA Total Grip vs Purolator Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Sister gave me these filters from her garage, after my worthless BIL walked out on her. I got most of the goodies from her garage, as I helped her with household stuff. That is what good kid brothers are good for
04.gif

These two filters were for a 2003 Chev Trail Blazer with the 4.2 straight 6 engine.

MVC-005S.jpg

Side by side. Purolator is L25288 and Advance Auto is 3767. Both made by Puro. AA has 46 pleats and Puro has 59. both have Nitrile ADBV and dome end relief valves. IIRC there was only about a dollar difference between the two. I would go for the puro, even though it did not have the fancy grip paint. The black marks on the filter pleats is from my sharpie marker when I was counting.

MVC-008S.jpg
Puro on right, AA on left.

I would buy an AA filter as I have a good idea who makes them, but is a dollar worth less pleats. Pleat depth was the same on both, relief valve was the same, gasket and can were similar.

I did not pay to sacrifice the cans, it was charged on my ex-bil's CC.

Dave

Well, the AAP Total Grip is now closed out. But, they frequently went on BOGO 2 for $2.88, great deal. When they went on closeout they went for $1.45, a great deal, then $0.95, a steal which Bitogers scarfed up. The ce white Ford Filter study pretty well illuminated the difference. Still have 3 AAP TG left from closeout in my stash and running on 3 vehicles.

Yes the Prem Plus was better but catching the AAP TG on special/promo increased the value. That plus I like the texture for installation and removal.

Thanks for the pics.

I've done 4-5k OCI's with 7317 and 3614. They used the Fram numbering system. They were rated 94% efficient (multipass) vs 96% Prem Plus. So the PP was better but on promo the AAPTG was a good value on a decent filter. Likely comparable to the old O'R Microgard, (only less expensive) and similar to PowerFlo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back