Lubro Moly 5W-40 Synthoil Preminum is group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been emailing Liqui-Moly back and forth. They finally stated that the 5W-40 Synthoil Preminum is Hyrdocracked group III for the US market. It's probably still a great oil for around $36 bucks for 5 liters at Napa.

It looks like their 0W-40 Synthoil Energy might be the route I go now. I can buy this oil for $46.00 for 5 liters at Napa.

Here is the email they sent me.

I researched and found that my first mail to you was not 100% correct - I´m sorry for that.

Our LIQUI MOLY SYNTHOIL PREMIUM 5W-40, part no. 2040, is a HC oil group III with a noack volatility 12%.
In former times we had an oil with the same part-no. that was a full synthetic oil group IV, but now we changed the recipy into this HC oil.

If you would like to use an PAO full synthetic group IV oil for your VW Golf GTI we recommend you our LUBRO MOLY SYNTHOIL ENERGY 0W-40, part-no. 2050.
This oil has an noack volatility of 9% and we recommend it for the requested VW specifications VW 502 000/505 000.

Finklejag, excellent job. I would use a group V oil with 6% volatility personally but that's just me. Most of the PAO oils have similar results in this engine IMO. There is a dyson quote somewhere that said the same thing (PAO being about the same in this engine).

An easy way to tell if Lubro Moly's products are group III or not is to look at the bottle. If it says "sythetic technology" on it, it's group III. As we all know, in Europe they can't legally call group III synthetic. So, they say "synthetic technology" instead.

Found the dyson quote:

Originally Posted By: Terry
reb03, I have customers running BMW5w30, M1 0w40 all with the same effect, the wear control is good if we change the oil at 1000 mile intervals but the deposit formation from REAL volatility issues are slowly damaging the engines. I just worked a 07 335 Biturbo yesterday USING ASTM lab tests on the used oil and M1 0w40 went from VOA flash of 430+F to 280 F in 1150 miles, oil sheared to 12.1 cSt and fuel was at 1.99% by IR. Amsoil has not been tested in this engine yet. Because Amsoil is a traditional based PAO I predict similar results to the M1 0w40 which is still one of few M1 products that can perform reasonably well.

Valve deposits are one of the issues to think about on your DI GTI. Crankcase gases containing oil, water, fuel, and various other components is baked onto the valves at high temps. According to VW's patent, portions of the intake valve can reach 380 degrees C!

This is one area where esters may help:

depositscopy.jpg

I'm running Synthoil Energy 0W-40 in the Lexus, it is Group IV. So is the Synthoil High Tech 5-40 (which is Porsche-approved). Can you not get this in the States?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I'm running Synthoil Energy 0W-40 in the Lexus, it is Group IV. So is the Synthoil High Tech 5-40 (which is Porsche-approved). Can you not get this in the States?

We can get both oils here in the US, IIRC.

Mobil 1 0w40 is a superior oil, especially for the price and wide availability.

I have no clue why Liqui-Moly sells a cheapened version here in the US. A lot of the Euro car forums seem obsessed with this oil despite the fact it is no better (or maybe even worse) than the majority of other off-the-shelf oils.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

depositscopy.jpg

Sooooo... whose oil is mainly this vaunted optimized polyol ester and where is the best (lowest price) to buy it in the SE USA?

I would strongly advise making your oil decision based on more than just one theoretical factor.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I would strongly advise making your oil decision based on more than just one theoretical factor.
wink.gif

+1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back