amsoil 75w 140???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put 75w 140 amsoil severe gear in my 07 dyna.I was wondering if it would be a good choice for the weather I ride in,40 to 90 degrees.Right now I am using 75w 90 mobil 1.Any help would be appreciated.

Why do you feel the need to use that heavier oil? Are you racing that bike? If you ride normally (for Harley riders) then there is no need for extreme duty gear oil. That transmission is very UNDER-stressed and you could use Amsoil 20w-50 oil in it and never know the difference (Amsoil 20w-50 is rated for gear oil duty)

You should not be so anal about your Harley maintenance and just ride it. It is not a high-performance motorcycle and is extremely over-built and will last many, many years with minimal care. Without a shared-oil transmission, you shouldn't need to change the gear oil but every 5 yrs at a minimum. Most automobiles call for a manual transmission fluid change every 100,000 miles.

Don't worry, be happy....

I just thought it will quiet it down some.I just don't want to hurt it in any way. They are expensive.I should of bought the 75w 110 instead. But I already purchased a qt of the 140.

Originally Posted By: pocko
I just thought it will quiet it down some.I just don't want to hurt it in any way. They are expensive.I should of bought the 75w 110 instead. But I already purchased a qt of the 140.

You mean, that you are not able to tear down and rebuild your transmission on the side of the road with a screwdriver? I thought all HD riders could do this in their sleep? Isn't that the point of buying them? They are so simple and easy to work on?

Pocko, I'm just giving you the rash, the heavier oil won't hurt like others said, but it may shift differently, maybe more shift effort and clunkiness.

I use 75w-90 Amsoil gear lube in the rear drive of my Kawasaki and it has much more stress than your HD transmission because it has to deal with 140 HP and a 190 series rear tire. I never even worry about it.

BTW, my Kaw's transmission has to live on 5w-40 oil and again it has the stress of much more power flowing through it. They don't fail and neither will yours...

Last edited:
Yo Zedhed:

Is that 140 ponies at the rear wheel? That's a lot of steam. What are you riding? My Valkyrie is rated at 100 h.p. 100 ft. lbs. torque at the rear wheel. I thought that was impressive.
I use 75W90 synthetic gear oil in the rear drive on it as well.

The Valkyrie was an expensive bike too, but I NEVER worry about it. No reason to. Any well designed and well built motorcycle will last a very long time with minimum maintenance.

The first step to having confidence in your motorcycle is understanding how it works. Mechanical knowledge of the machine will go a long way to put the rider at ease.

Concours 14 (ZG1400) and that's at the rear wheel. It isn't stock, but has flies out, Power Commander III, and a Muzzy exhaust.

I agree about knowing the motorcycle, it helps with the confidence on maintenance. I really like Valks, they're like having a passenger car with a Ferrari engine in it. Speak softly and carry a BIG stick. 2 wheels and an ENGINE. I don't know why Honda quit making those things, talk about an intelligent power-cruiser. As complicated and sophisticated as the Goldwing/Valkyrie engine is, you more than any others would have reason to worry about oil, but are knowledgeable enough to choose wisely on lubricants. Compared to a TC88 engine, a Valk engine is like the Space Shuttle engines.

Redline in a Harley? Bah..

I'm certain that there are motorcycle brand specific forums that go into extreme detail on many facets of the brand including lubrication needs.

Got to a KLR650 site for instance and their lubrication recommendations are much like the machine itself. Economical, effective and reliable. The seasoned KLR650 riders - serious Iron Butt kind of guys who do all of their own work and thoroughly understand their machines recommend HDEO lubricants more often than anything else. No fancy designer oils for those guys.

The Valkyrie site has a mix of opinions for oils. Some are for the synthetics but most recommend HDEO. Despite the Valkyrie's sophisticated engine, it's such a well balanced and under stressed piece that it's fairly easy on oil. Honda recommend 8000 mile OCI with conventional oil. I have no reservation whatsoever running Shell Rotella, Delo 400 or Delvac in it. When you factor in that the transmission is also sharing the same oil, you would think that it would be harder on oil than a Harley engine.

As you mentioned, Harley engines shouldn't have the need for specialized oil. Any oil with sufficient viscosity to handle air cooled engine temps will do. Rather than spending big bucks for designer oils, I'd be running HDEO in those things with 2500 mile OCIs.

From my exposure to the HD guys I know, they have very little mechanical understanding of the machine. None do their own work, not even oil or spark plug changes. When you have no understanding of the machine it's easy to default to the " If I spend more money on oil, I'll get more protection." syndrome. Not necessarily true.

You can bet that there are HD owners out there that know the machine inside and out, do all of their own work and know exactly what the bike needs to run well without breaking the bank. The sad thing is that those seasoned guys are not the same people that the HD guys I know go to for info.

My friend with the HD brings his bike to a well respected HD mechanic. My buddy is going through the dreaded oil selection dilemma. I told him that I run Rotella 15W40 in just about everything. The mechanic also advised him to use HDEO. Buddy goes to the donut shop for a get together with other HD owners who have the same mechanical skills as him and they advise him otherwise. So he goes back to the mechanic and brings a few quarts of Amsoil with him.

I just don't get it. The mechanic knows more, many times over, than all of them put together but he's over-ruled by guys who've never touched their bikes with a wrench????

What's the thought process there?

Originally Posted By: pocko
I want to put 75w 140 amsoil severe gear in my 07 dyna.I was wondering if it would be a good choice for the weather I ride in,40 to 90 degrees.Right now I am using 75w 90 mobil 1.Any help would be appreciated.

S/B fine but a little overkill. I run the 75W-110 right now with a 109rwtq motor and it seems to be working fine. I'm also running the Amsoil 10W-30 M/C oil in the primary. It shifts extremely smooth and easy and neutral is also easy to find. If you engine is stock or nearly stock then 75W-90 is fine but the higher weights may reduce noise, although I never really noticed a lot of noise from the trans with either weight.

I highly recommend NOT using an engine oil in the transmission since there is NO reason to. The transmission is separate from the engine sump and the primary, so why not run a fluid designed for that usage with additives designed for gears?

Originally Posted By: boraticus

What's the thought process of two guys who don't even own a Harley commenting in every single thread asking about what should be used in a Harley?

Both of you, please STOP recommending an oil too thin for the application. Its only approved for cold ambient temperatures and no way should 10W-40 or 15W-40 be run on a stock (running EPA-lean and hot) Harley in the summer heat.

"What's the thought process of two guys who don't even own a Harley commenting in every single thread asking about what should be used in a Harley? "

One needs not stand out in the rain to know if he does, he'll get wet.

Mechanics is mechanics. I understand mechanics. The HD mechanic who works on the bikes should know what he's talking about right? Certainly more than the donut shop boys.

From reading the following HD forum link discussing oil,
it would appear that there are more than a few Harley brethren who disagree with you:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/engine-oils-lubrication/99647-rotella-15-40-harley-engines.html

Originally Posted By: cfromc
Originally Posted By: boraticus

What's the thought process of two guys who don't even own a Harley commenting in every single thread asking about what should be used in a Harley?

Both of you, please STOP recommending an oil too thin for the application. Its only approved for cold ambient temperatures and no way should 10W-40 or 15W-40 be run on a stock (running EPA-lean and hot) Harley in the summer heat.

Hey, no one recommended using 10w-40 in the transmission of a non-shared-oil bike. I recommended using Amsoil 75w-90 lube just like the factory mandates. I merely stated that Amsoil 20w-50 was rated for gear lube service.

So stop coming off so "high and mighty." Many BITOGers use "lighter" oil in their cars than factory recommendation with excellent results. You are merely stating your OPINION, not facts.

Last edited:
cfromc:

Here's a quote from the V-Twins forum:

"The fact remains that Harley doesn't recommend Amsoil or any other synthetic for the 96 inchers, not even their own Syn 3 anywhere in the factory service manual. What they recommend is HD360 in 20w50 weight or Diesel oil in 20w50 or 15w40 weight. That's good enough for them and they're the ones eating any warranty claims if they're wrong."

"I'm not saying don't use synthetic, If you want to spend the extra that's fine with me but the doom and gloom if we don't certainly isn't necessary."

Did he say that HD recommends conventional 20w-50 oil or HDEO 15w-40? NO, surely not -- 'cause you said 'too thin'

And I know, you know, more than HD does......

Last edited:
Just for the record - "Harley" owners use all manner of fluids in their respective transmissions and get good service from whatever they are using.

HD recommends Formula+ which is roughly a 50 weight and virtually no additives. There's a UOA on this forum that you can search for..... This is very similar to many of the manual transmission lubes for automobiles.

HD also says that if you run their Genuine Syn3 motor oil in the transmission then you can go with 20,000 mile change intervals, with 10,000 mile intervals in the primary chaincase. Or annually.

Remember the annually part.... I've seen transmission failures and they have all been due water intrusion. Maybe the guy rode in the rain a lot or maybe he was fond of that high-pressure wand at the car wash. Who knows. Yeah, and maybe the newer HDs are a little different. The older bikes had a little different setup fo rthe transmission vent.

Will 75W-140 work in your Harley transmission? Of course it will - as will 75W-90 or 75W-110 or that (roughly) 40W Genuine Formula+ or Amsoil MCV 20W-50 or Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50... and a lot more.....

Seriously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Just for the record - "Harley" owners use all manner of fluids in their respective transmissions and get good service from whatever they are using.

HD recommends Formula+ which is roughly a 40 weight and virtually no additives. There's a UOA on this forum that you can search for..... This is very similar to many of the manual transmission lubes for automobiles.

HD also says that if you run their Genuine Syn3 motor oil in the transmission then you can go with 20,000 mile change intervals, with 10,000 mile intervals in the primary chaincase. Or annually.

Remember the annually part.... I've seen transmission failures and they have all been due water intrusion. Maybe the guy rode in the rain a lot or maybe he was fond of that high-pressure wand at the car wash. Who knows. Yeah, and maybe the newer HDs are a little different. The older bikes had a little different setup fo rthe transmission vent.

Will 75W-140 work in your Harley transmission? Of course it will - as will 75W-90 or 75W-110 or that (roughly) 40W Genuine Formula+.

Seriously.

Nice post, informative, but not judgmental or condescending

I had been using Severe Gear 75W90, I tried the Severe Gear 75W140 and noticed no difference in my 02 Softail Transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back