how often do you re-torque your wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't race, so stud stretch isn't a big deal for me. Also, they always appear to be good to go when I check with my torque wrench every so often.

Only after a trip where the lugs were touched (which is usually only to install new tires).

I also re-torque a few days after I've had the lugs off (they recommend this for alloy wheels especially), but I've never had the nuts to come loose any.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Only after a trip where the lugs were touched (which is usually only to install new tires).

I also re-torque a few days after I've had the lugs off (they recommend this for alloy wheels especially), but I've never had the nuts to come loose any.

This is the every so often I was talking about, usually a day or two after I rotate the tires or do a brake job. The torque wrench usually clicks immediately at the setting I previously torqued it to.

On my personal car, I re-torque after every wheel change. (I auto-x usually once a month or more and change from street tires to auto-x tires and then back to street tires.) I check the accuracy of my torque wrenches once a year.

On family cars, I re-torque the wheels anytime the tires are changed/rotated by a service center. I've found that most centers use air impact wrenches that aren't calibrated and tend to error on the high side. I've found as much as 144% of recommended torque (140 lbs-ft instead of 90) applied to wheels with new tires. (No way one of the girls or wife is gonna break loose a lug nut on a flat tire with that much torque!)

I also use brake cleaner to clean the studs and lug nuts when I remove them as well as spray WD40 on the studs before re-torquing them. (SCCA racing cured me of using anti-seize on wheel studs in the 70's. A big No-No back then!)

I re-check torque probably 1x per month, or if the wheels have come off. I had some tires mounted up and even watched the guy use a torque wrench, and they were put on about 25lbs too tightly. My wrench was recently calibrated, so I am confident in the settings.

+1 on the day after after wheel off. I leave the center caps off as a reminder to self.

Most tire shops advise you to torque alloy wheels 100 miles after they were R&R'ed. So I usually do it a day or two after new tires or a tire rotation.

After that, they are usually fine.

Once a month probably wouldn't hurt, but I've had good luck with the check 100 or do miles after they were R&R'ed.

I try to stay away from alloys. When I had them, did the 100 miles and checked that all was okay.

Never use a torque wrench, just a star lug wrench and make sure they are snug.

Bill

With alloys, a few days after having the wheels off for tire rotations, brakes, etc... I take the center caps off and don't put them back on until I've re-checked. Serves as a nice visual reminder (if you don't mind the look for a few days...). Never had a problem with this technique.

Originally Posted By: MrBeachcomber

I also use brake cleaner to clean the studs and lug nuts when I remove them as well as spray WD40 on the studs before re-torquing them. (SCCA racing cured me of using anti-seize on wheel studs in the 70's. A big No-No back then!)

What torque setting do you use since you're lubricating the studs with WD40?

I never do, but surely should. The once or twice when I have, the torque has remained the same.

What is the phenomena/reason why they should be re-torqued anyway? Is it an issue of potential improper mating of the wheel to the hub surface? Backing off of lug nuts? Something else?

I've never even considered re-torquing my aluminum wheels. The stud is much more elastic than the wheel material so what's going to loosen it?

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Do you, as a maintenance measure, re-torque your alloy wheels from time to time? If so how often?

When I rotate tires I torque them down, and re-check again after about 20 miles of driving.

After doing some experimenting with the race car, I found that this is a torque level where there is never any loosening of the wheels. For my race car I think it was 80 in lbs, but I have it recorded on the check list, just so I would not have to remember.

I have since determined that all my other cars are OK with the stock specs - with the exception of the new Milan, where I haven't yet made that determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back