WSJ Says Racers Using Highly Customized Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that in NASCAR's top three series, 129 cars/trucks start each week (43+43+36) and of those, probably half the cup cars, maybe quarter of the Nationwide cars and maybe five or six trucks have an oil affiliation. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the vast majority of those that don't have a deal do use Mobil One. It has a good reputation, is availible everywhere, is fairly cheap, and since they are a NASCAR contingency sponsor, there's a lot of freebies floating around. I would say it it was probably the top oil in ARCA (same engines as Cup, except roller cams allowed) while I was there, and unless you were running an R&D engine program for a Cup team, it was straight off the shelf. We used 76 Racing Oil and Mobil One right off the shelf and had zero oil related engine issues. There is a BIG difference between what the Hendricks, Gibbs, Roushes, annd Childresses do and what EVERYBODY ELSE does.

Quote:
The new Mobil 1 race oil formulation has been approved for use in the MP4-25 following over four months of development in which the blend of approximately 20 constituents, base oil and additives, has been meticulously rebalanced to deliver the fractional improvements in lap times that make the difference between winning and losing.

Bruce Crawley, Motorsports Technology Manager explains: “The process of fuel and lubricant development begins in our Paulsboro research facility with the use of complex mathematical modelling to simulate many different compositions and predict their benefits. This allows us to concentrate our efforts and resources on a few leading formulations that are then developed further. The lead candidate was subjected to over 20,000 km of dyno-testing and over 10,000 km on the track in pre-season testing, before the optimum solution for the challenges of the 2010 season was selected.”

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/...amp;newsLang=en

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
i believe the members here know at least one of the formulating chemists in the article.

Which one, William or Douglas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back