anyone else actually race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see lots of bench racing and yakking about Pro's but who's going rounds?

PS I need a race oil sponsor!
thumbsup2.gif

pbirtd3282010ladder.jpg

21310pbir1strace.jpg

Last edited:
I have done bracket racing before at the truck nationals. I love that anyone can win in bracket racing. Makes racing affordable for those on a budget.

Autocross, HPDE/open tracking occasionally.

I've done quarter mile runs with this car, but only for time/test and tune purposes.

I used to work, crew on teams, and even co-drove once in Pro Rally (way back when the SCCA was running the special stage show
wink.gif
).

I race a 944 and a 911 in Porsche Club and NASA, been racing and doing track days for about 12 years.

I bracket race every month at Firebird Raceway during the summer. I quit racing my bike and now just my Corvette. I am getting old and my reaction time is no longer competitive but I do have a lot of fun with my kids.

I run street class at Shannonville Motorsport Park (drag strip). Have run the Lincoln and the Mustang, LOL. Haven't run anything in the last few years other than the Lincoln, because I'm lazy and haven't finished putting the Mustang back together yet.

Driving instructor with PCA and SCCA. SCCA ProSolo National Champion, multiple Regional Championships and individual National event wins.

Had a blast over the weekend at the SCCA Solo National Tour at Mineral Wells, TX. Finished 4th in class, and it was a hard-fought battle....happiest I've ever been after a race when I did not win haha.

I have in-car video, but not sure if the mods like youtube links.

Solo2driver, youtube links are fine as long as you kept your temper in check, no swearing! Our season is starting soon so I should watch someone that knows what they are doing.

I do just autocross these days, I did do lots of mountain bike races and some downhill bike races in my younger days...
Downhill is very similar to autocross but you only get two runs and the cones are trees... Hitting one is usually more than a 2 second penalty.

gazillions of drag strip passes across almost 40 years! Tons o' fun.

Lots of amateur track days all over the country, even more fun than the strip.

The best time of all? Passing WAY more expensive cars at the road course!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The best time of all? Passing WAY more expensive cars at the road course!

Yes, indeed. My Jetta passing a Porsche can't help but make me smile.

robert

Used to race a 95 heavily mod'd M3 and was a sub driver for a Porsche team based locally in CO. Now will do the occasional track day with the EVO VIII in the Netherlands or on boy racer thing on the autobahn when in EU once or twice a year. Havent been interested in emassing that much debt and parting with that much cash again.

"Turning money into noise"
Even to do autocross semi seriously in the stock classes,
$800-1000 rims.
$700-800/year for tires.
$300-400 for sway bars.

I got 3rd overall though this weekend with steelies, $40 used tires up front, and a $90 swaybar on the back. The lot was still sandy from winter so the sticky tire guys didn't have any advantage at all until the last couple runs.

Race karts
Used to racing Formula cars - road course
Drove an Indycar at Indy
Instruct open wheelers at Watkins Glen
Solo II - fun stuff

Some involvement in oval stuff over time

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Race karts
Used to racing Formula cars - road course
Drove an Indycar at Indy
Instruct open wheelers at Watkins Glen
Solo II - fun stuff

Some involvement in oval stuff over time

Wow, good experience! I've got a question for you though, is it more fun to go faster or just more stressful because a mistake has bigger consequences? Small shifter kart track vs. Indianapolis in an Indycar...
I'm a 10/10ths solo 2 driver, and like to have my car very very pointy for our smaller lots. Not the fastest way to drive consistantly but fun when it works out for a run. Basically there are no consequences in solo 2, other than knocking out the timing equipment... I'm going to try some lapping this year and I'll have to shelf my solo2 driving style and car setup. I wonder if it will just be boring if I drive "safe" or terrifying if I let my normal driving style take over? I guess that's the drivers compromise, get some adrenaline going but not get too greedy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back