Oil Recommendations for 2001 Ford Ranger with 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2001 Ford Ranger with the 3.0 motor. It's a 4 wheel drive and has 66,000 miles on it. I'm looking for some oil recommendation. Either sythetic or dino, doesn't matter. The owners manual says to use 5W20. I don't plan on doing some heavy hauling, just some light stuff. I'd like to get the most life out of this motor.

Last edited:
My sons 91 Ranger 3.0 has 340K all on M1 10-30 with 10-14K OCIs and still sounds great on cold start, and no more oil useage than when it was new.

Thanks for the recommendations.
thumbsup2.gif

Anything close to motor oil will be fine in the Vulcan.
A durable and trouble-free design, although it has no power and is made of rude cast iron.
Most Aerostars were built with this engine as was ours.
After roughly 165K, it uses little enough oil that additions are never needed between changes, fuel economy remains pretty good, and it still starts instantly.
To answer your qustion, ours was back-speced for 5W-20, and I have run that oil once.
I mainly used M1 0W-30 for the first 40-50K of the van's life, and have since used a variety of oils, including RTS 5W-40, QS and Syntec 5W-50s, and various dinos including Tection 15W-40 (in warm weather months only), a mix of GTX 5W-20 and 20W-50 (to use up the 20W-50) and the current fill of Havoline DS 10W-40.
You can use any decent oil of any reasonable weight for the climate in your engine, change it every 5K, and the engine should easily outlive the rest of the truck.

The 3.0 is a tough engine that is not picky about oil. Motorcraft 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter will serve you well, and both are readily available for good prices.

I just traded my 1997 Ranger for a 2004 Ranger with the duratec 2.3 and plan to use Motorcraft 5/20 oil and filter. FL 910 iirc. I really like to use Motorcraft oil and filter's in my Ford's, although i'm very intrigued by tig1's results using mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back