Oil Reccomendations for a PT Cruiser Turbo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all-

This is my post here on this site but there is a wealth of knowledge here!!

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4L Turbo. It is lightly modded with intake/exhaust/PCM. The car is not a daily driver and is typically only driven on weekends. Sometimes a week or more passes before its driven. I have had the car for a year and is just now hitting 3000 miles. What would you guys reccomend as far as synthetic oil and oil change interval?

The car is currently filled with Amsoil 5w30 which has been in the car for 6 months so its ready to change. I have emailed Amsoil and they reccomended their 10w30 "turbo" formula. My manual reccomends 5w30 for climates from below zero up to 100 degrees and 10w30 for climates from 0 to 100+. Where I live the temp does hit around 100 during summer. What would you reccomend?

Thanks!!

Rotella T Synth 5W40!
grin.gif
If you're willing to go 40wt it's a cheap "synth." If not, I'm trying out the Pennzoil Plat right now. It's supposedly great and about $19 for 5 qts. Any synth at appropriate intervals should be fine. It's when people try to push dinos and blends for longish intervals that turbo cars start to go south.

If the Amsoil 5w-30 only has 1500 miles on it, it should still be good. Can you smell fuel in the oil? If so, change it every 2500 miles. If not, it should hold up for 1 year@3000 miles per year.

Actually, I don't know about that. Though it certainly makes sense, my oil always smells like gas and my only analysis so far said there was really no fuel in it.

I run Amsoil 0W-30 in My PT GT, change it every 7500 miles with filter which works out to twice a year.

I have aslo used it in my other turbo cars. no problems.

I dont think you will have any issues no matter what synthetic oil you choose and would recommend you simply go to a 1 year drain with filter if your only putting 3000 miles a year on it.

BrianWC wrote:

"Actually, I don't know about that. Though it certainly makes sense, my oil always smells like gas and my only analysis so far said there was really no fuel in it."

I've been worried about mine smelling like fuel lately too. I might have to post a new thread about this issue and see if we can come up with a solution.

Yeah. My car is known for excessive blowby. Fuel smell seems perfect confirmation. But not according to my analysis.

Drive another 6 months on your current fill. Sounds like when you drive it you use it enough to get rid of the gas and your oil test proved it.

RotellaT syn and PP at WM are the same price
so you could use either and the 40w Rotella.
Are the OCI interval in months just to meet warranty? Then I'd use either.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:

RotellaT syn and PP at WM are the same price
so you could use either and the 40w Rotella.

Wow, not at mine! Granted, there isn't MUCH difference in price, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back