Pennzoil ultra seems to be Shell Helix Ultra !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Pennzoil Ultra seems to be the good old Shell Helix Ultra that has been sold in Australia and Europe for many many years. Looking at the figures for all oils the 5w30 and 5w40 are the exact same. It would mean they are Group 3+ Slack Wax base oil (excellent !!!) and the 10w60 would be a PAO based oil. Hope it does well.

Its amazing how marketing works. Pennzoil Platinum costs more here than Shell Helix Ultra. But from the site, the Ultra is better, so its good to know we have been using the better one hehe
wink.gif
......... When they say its chosen by Ferrari, Shell Helix Ultra sometimes carries a Ferrari badge on it.

Last edited:
http://www.shell.com.au/home/content/aus...ct_range/ultra/

The documentation also goes on about the low Chlorine part of it. I love how old things can be remarketed again, over and over. Still Shell in my opinion is one of the best oils in the world.

I read on many occasions people believed Pennzoil Platinum to be group 3+, but the MSDS never shows slack wax. From what i read, Pennzoil Platinum is a group 3, Shell Helix Ultra and the new Pennzoil Ultra is Slack wax 3+. Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
i don't agree, shell helix ultra 5w-30 is not ILSAC or API Energy Conserving like Pennzoil Ultra, but is A3.

the shell helix ultra would have a higher HTHS.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i don't agree, shell helix ultra 5w-30 is not ILSAC or API Energy Conserving like Pennzoil Ultra, but is A3.

the shell helix ultra would have a higher HTHS.

I'm pretty sure there are going to be two versions of Ultra 5w-30, one of them being the one you're talking about and the other being a thicker ACEA A3 oil, like they did with Platinum. Could be wrong...

I think Pennzoil Platinum is excellent oil and all that's really needed for most applications. I'm sure Ultra is excellent but I'd save $5 and use PP.

I guess there is no need for Auto manufactures to make any advancements since lubricants arn't allowed to. Sure sucks because I think there is some very innovative powerplants on the way to market.

The Euro Pennzoil Ultra and the Shell Helix Ultra sold in Europe and Australia are pretty close to one in the same. The Pennzoil Ultra API SM/SN GF5 oils are a different product.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The Euro Pennzoil Ultra and the Shell Helix Ultra sold in Europe and Australia are pretty close to one in the same. The Pennzoil Ultra API SM/SN GF5 oils are a different product.

Johnny, if you check the charts, the figures, are exactly the same. When Shell Ultra went from SL to SM, it was same oil, new bottles. Some oils out there are advanced and can already meet the newer specs.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Interesting. And I thought there was all this high tech research and development behind it. lol

Nothing personal, shpankey, but I'm going to use your post to illustrate something that seems typical, even on BITOG.

This is a prime example of why manufacturers are so squeamish about divulging actual technical information about their products to the general public. Have you compared Helix Ultra data sheets before and after the release of Pennzoil Ultra? How do you know they didn't update Shell Helix Ultra first, and then bring it here as Pennzoil Ultra? There is nothing to say SOPUS just took the old Helix Ultra here and just re-bottled it -- and even if they did, there's nothing to say it's not a great product worthy of a new bottle and a higher price.

Please try not to extrapolate based on tidbits of information. They almost never represent the whole picture.

I may be slow but when I compared data sheets between the U.S. Pennzoil Ultra and Shell Helix Ultra, the data I saw for same viscosity grades didn't even match. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You think there is not high tech research behind Shell Helix Ultra?

One would hope, but I will tell you that Shell Ultra Helix in 5w-40 foams like crazy. Common complaint amongst Ferrari owners, and there are some independent Ferrari techs that claim the stuff is simply not that good. I've used it, usually when I am having other services at the dealer, and they change the oil too, but when I change it myself, I use Mobil 1 0w-40...no foam on the dipstick.
wink.gif

is the Pennzoil Ultra being discussed here the Ultra Platinum made with the PurePlus gtl formulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back