RCR and Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they claim that they use Ultra in their Sprint Cup engines but I bet it's a special 20w-50 grade with tons more zinc and phosphorous that we can't buy off the shelf. I could believe that they use the normal Ultra 5w-30 in their restricted engines though. Any thoughts?

I recently read an indepth article on nascar.com from an engine builder for ECR engine and the relationship they have with RCR. He specifically stated that pennzoil worked extreamly close with ECR when developing a new product. He stated that much of what we do put in our cars came from that same technology pennzoil developed for RCR. Now I agree the same technology is not the same formula.

They also stated that ECR RCR packages made 18 more HP with the new product. I would believe that. the ECR/RCR cars are very stout this year on the bigger HP tracks. Today darrell Waltrip mentioned while they were at the test session at dega that the RCR cars were the strongest and ALL of the ECR engine looked like they had much more HP then everyone else.

Clint Boyer did have a failure last week and they found a bad bearing. This week all ECR engines will have increased oil pressure.

35.gif

Well, lets put it this way, the product they use is made by Shell, but it is nothing like what you can buy off the shelf. And it's not a 20W-50 oil.

Harvicks truck won today....But heres the kicker it also won at Atlanta. Same ECR engine Never torn down between races. IMo thats pretty impressive. Is it oil probably not or maybe, but you don't see these guys run engines back to back. Typical Nascar engine can be be freshened up to roughly 13 times

It's been posted before. They make special race oils that are pao/ester based. 0w-5, up to 0w-20 and 30.

I'd like to see a UOA after a NASCAR race. It would be interesting. And I'd be willing to bet they ain't running the Ultra you can get at your local Walmart. No friggin way.

Originally Posted By: geonerd
How on Earth do allegedly tighter tolerances make 'clean more critical?' What a bunch of hooey!

"Ultra," "Hyper!" aren't you guys afraid you'll run out of adjectives soon? Sheesh! :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
And so does every other oil manufacturer.

Every manufacture frealy admits it's not the same product, but uses the technology.

Thats why I thought it was funny that the guy saw 0-40 in another race. No way are they running 40wt oil in a race engine that gets torn down in 500 miles or less. They want the lightest they can get. Same for the diff and trans

Did anyone see the qualifying diff lube that came out of mark martins car during practice....it was pretty much water

ECR engines finished 1-2 at Dega today....including a win for Harvick Shell 29 Car.

I like how when they asked Harvick about shell going away he said there going away and we are winning.

I have to mention
07.gif
24 & 48. I wonder how this will turn out. I have been waiting for an interuption at hendrick and here it is. Jimmy got what bhe deserved IMO

I sometimes think Shell has something against winning. If you remember back a few years when Rousch cars were winning everything, they were all sponsored by Shell/Pennzoil, then they switched to RCR.

And I agree about the 24 & 48. Life is going to get real interesting around Hendrick Racing.

The Pennzoil's marketing people sure like to jump around. Since the 1990's, the have been with Bahari Racing, (Primary sponsor of Michael Waltrip and then Johhny Benson Jr.) Dale Earnhardt Inc. (Primary sponsor of Steve Park, associate with Dale Jr.and Michael Waltrip), Roush, (Associate on all cars primary on a few nationwide runs) and then RCR (Primary sponsor for Kevin Harvick. Stablemate Quaker State has only been with two teams since 1986; Kenny Bernstein's King Racing (as primary sponsor for Joe Ruttman, Ricky Rudd, Brett Bodine, and finally Steve Kinser) and then Hendrick Motorsports as an associate for all cars, and primary sponsor of Jack Sprague's truck for a while. Shell's foray into NASCAR was a long time associate sponsorship with Joe Gibbs Racing before showing up on the RCR cars with Pennzoil. I wish they would settle down and build an identity with one organization. I can see how Penske would be attractive to them, but why they would want Kurt Busch as the face of their product is beyond me. Word is Hendrick was in the running for the Shell/Pennzoil deal, but the QS marketing people cried foul. I don't know if that is true, but it would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back