Synlube VOA Attempt - Set-Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this gets somewhere.

What's the Point?

This thread attempts to set up a VOA of Synlube, an oil that, at best, can be said to have some "extreme claims", and considered by many to be an outright scam. More controversy about Synlube can be found in a number of other threads, but that's not the point of this one.

This thread is to attempt to establish a VOA. To date, the owner of Synlube absolutely refuses all scientific inspection of oil. You can't even buy oil from him if you tell him you want to inspect or analyze it, on grounds that no one but him will be able to make heads or tails of it. Fortunately, Budman has agreed to provide an unused sample of Synlube Initial Fill, and possibly also other Synlube(s) he may have on hand.

What Are We Doing?
So what I propose is for some established member residing in NV, near Budman , to meet up and collect said sample(s) of Synlube, and send to Blackstone for:

- Standard Test ($22.50)
--- Spectral metals
--- Visc
--- Insolu. %
--- Flash
- Particle Count ($22.00)
- Spec. Gravity ($21.00)
- Visc @ 100F ($34.00)

What For?
Now, the rest of us unwashed masses may not understand "colloidal tribology", but if Mirox Corporation's claims are at all grounded in reality, and its advertising at all legal, then it should be relatively trivial to determine that:

- Standard test should show an extremely high moly content (in magnitude of parts per thousand) in the spectral analysis.
- Insolu. % high above 0.
- Visc@100F and Visc@220F should support the fact that the oil is remotely "SAE 5W50".
- Particle count should return non-zero, due to suspected moly.
- Specific gravity should be high above 0.85 g/mL, that of an average oil (which are often around 0.85 g/mL), due to a high content of suspended transition metals.

And...?
These are simple, objective, scientific tests that directly conclude whether or not the claims by Mirox Corporation is true or false, and thus whether or not their advertising is factual and legal, whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with the performance claims of Synlube.

As a null hypothesis, if, instead of "colloidal moly suspended in oil", Synlube is, as many hypothesizes, simply blacked/used HDEO oil (Exxon-Mobil Delvac?), then:

- Spectral metals, spec. gravity should be consistent with any average HDEO oil.
- Viscosity should be consistent with HDEOs (roughly 15W-40?)
- Suspended particles in the virgin oil are simply that of burnt carbon deposits.

But we do not need to guess, and instead, can test.

Please do not argue in this thread, but only discuss items relevant to the testing of this oil.

Last edited:
Also, I'm linking in the "standard UOA" of Synlube:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1808893#Post1808893

Re: Iron: 105
This was claimed to be "sacrificial iron", rather than as a result of parts wear. Without going into whether or not that even makes sense; if that claim is correct, then a virgin sample should have a higher Iron content, presumably several hundreds or thousands.

Re: Molybdenum: 5478
Again, moly is supposed to come out of suspension and "embed" itself into the wear surfaces. If this claim is correct, then a virgin sample will have much higher moly, presumably in the 10000ppm or higher.

Re: VIS CS 40°C: 93.4
No 100C vis, but virgin needs to be in 5W50 territory to be claimed as 5W50.

Last edited:
To qualify as a 5W-50:

Vis 100C: 16.30-21.89 cSt
CCS: (Meaning that Vis 40C: roughly 100-150 cSt)

Edit: Also, the comment about using Wearcheck US instead of Blackstone - (I can't find it now, did it get deleted?) - I didn't know Blackstone was considered unreliable?

Last edited:
I believe one of our regular members has purchased a quart of this product and is sending it to another one of our members who is a tribologist and oil blender for an analysis. If this all has taken place as I was told, we should be seeing a VOA in the very near future. Keep an eye out for its posting.

Originally Posted By: znode
To qualify as a 5W-50:

Vis 100C: 16.30-21.89 cSt
CCS: (Meaning that Vis 40C: roughly 100-150 cSt)

Edit: Also, the comment about using Wearcheck US instead of Blackstone - (I can't find it now, did it get deleted?) - I didn't know Blackstone was considered unreliable?

I think Blackstone does good work except for the way they present their particle count data. They give you the impression that they actually did a particle count at different sizes but the data from test to test often has the same exact ratios of particle sizes, which indicates that they do one test to indicate total particle count, then assume a standard distribution of particle sizes. Real life isn't like that.

That has been hashed over on BITOG a few times.

Old Particle count thread

The method that Blackstone uses is valid for what it actually measures, but it doesn't measure particle counts at different sizes.

Last edited:
I believe that Synlube claims they use PTFE, moly and graphite in their Synlube product. I can't handle their website (it makes me kind of ill) so I have not confirmed that. But I believe that is accurate. So whoever tests the oil can also test for PTFE, moly, and graphite.

And as has been mentioned already, there is a belief on the part of some that Delvac 1 motor oil was used to make Synlube with perhaps Lubro-Moly dumped into it.

There is of course the claim of 'sacificial' iron in Synlube because of the high iron in the Forf truck that had supposedly used Synlube for 15,000 miles.

Also, TBN needs to be checked because the Ford truck oil had very low TBN after 15,000 miles.

I do not know how difficult or easy it would be for an individual to get PTFE, moly and graphite for oil. And I say individual because if the business license for Synlube has been revoked by the State of Nevada an individual would have to obtain the stuff.

I have never tried to formulate my own motor oil. Can a person readily get semi-micro PTFE? And also small particles of moly and graphite?

If these materials are supposed to be in Synlube and they do not show up, and if Synlube has claimed that they are in their oil which I believe they have claimed, then there has been apparent falsehood.

And I know for a fact that at least one Synlube fan has claimed that there is 'sacrificial' iron in Synlube.

Moly could be present because it would be possible for an individual to just put Lubro-Moly into an oil, such as perhaps Delvac 1.

Last edited:
Quote:
So whoever tests the oil can also test for PTFE, moly, and graphite.

Other than testing for insoluble particle counts, I think whomever has this sample would not only have to do a microscopic particle count, but also identify the particle species. That may not be so easy.

Quote:
I have never tried to formulate my own motor oil. Can a person readily get semi-micro PTFE? And also small particles of moly and graphite?

Yes. These various powders or colloids can be supplied today in nano-particle (1 X 10^-9 um) sizes.

Quote:
And I know for a fact that at least one Synlube fan has claimed that there is 'sacrificial' iron in Synlube.

The "sacrificial" term I think has been misused. There are AO's which have a trace amout of Fe compound(s).

Last edited:
But there would still be just a trace amount of iron-right? Not a lot of iron indicating excessive wear in the engine.

And if Delvac 1 or perhaps some conventional motor oil had been used and relabelled as Synlube (with maybe Lubro-Moly dumped in) would the oil analysis be able to tell that?

Yes, we would expect so. We would have to compare the VOA to the two UOA's, taking the VAO's base Fe level and subtracting it from the UOA's Fe levels.

IF he used one type of pre-formulated oil we might be able to see that signature.

But IF he has used a number of different oils, we would not.

Now if he indeed took 5 different base oils or base oil viscosities and started from scratch, and then added his own concoction of additives, then the Synlube signature will be unique.

IF Miro has a chemist working for him and they blend in another state or distribute from another state, then the business license question for NV may be mute.

Quote:
and they do not show up

Other than moly, they may NOT show up with a low cost test. Much depends on the how extensive the test is.

As I stated above, "Other than testing for insoluble particle counts, I think whomever has this sample would not only have to do a microscopic particle count, but also identify the particle species. That may not be so easy."

It would be better to have two separate source samples from two separate individuals sent to two different labs.

Then there is the question of the two UOA's. What were the exact operating conditions and engines under which these two OUA's were run?

Last edited:
Would a spectral analysis show all of this stuff? I stay in contact with an old college chemistry prof. of mine and could probably have him run one on it (although I would be useless as teets on a boar at analyzing it).

I have not made it widely known but I purchased 1 quart specificly for VOA testing. Samples will be sent out next week when I return from the work related trip I am on through the end of the week.

By purchasing 1 quart I became a customer so I requested a copy of the MSDS and PDS information which is how I received and then posted the PDF etc. I have asked a few other questions which have all been answered and pertinent information has been posted.

Quote:
Would a spectral analysis show all of this stuff? I stay in contact with an old college chemistry prof. of mine and could probably have him run one on it (although I would be useless as teets on a boar at analyzing it).

What equipment does he have to run spectral analyses?

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I have not made it widely known but I purchased 1 quart specificly for VOA testing. Samples will be sent out next week when I return from the work related trip I am on through the end of the week.

By purchasing 1 quart I became a customer so I requested a copy of the MSDS and PDS information which is how I received and then posted the PDF etc. I have asked a few other questions which have all been answered and pertinent information has been posted.

Wow. We might get some answers on what Synlube looks like. Very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back