Schaeffer's #274, how does it compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the automotive application, how would your rate #274 to others? I just bought a case of it (a little late to ask I guess), trying to get some opinions.

The #274 is an excellent grease. If used for the right application I would use it without hesitation.

What is the application for this grease?

Dodge truck...ujoints, balljoints, tierods, etc...possibly wheel bearings if I need to pull the front hubs apart anytime soon (I got Lucas in there currently).

Although it could be a difference in bearing preload (although both feel slightly loose), the hub with Lucas Red n' Tacky runs about 10*F hotter than the other with 707L...but its nearly impossible to find 707L around here.

I'm hoping its more waterproof than the Lucas, as the balljoints seem to have water in them almost every time I service them (less than 5k greasing intervals).

The #274 will do a lot better job of handling water. It may not keep it out, but it will protect your ball joint from it.

The 707L is one of the best wheel bearing grease out there as for as I'm concerned. Be on the lookout for a PM from me about the 707L.

Johnny- you said the 707L is one of the best wheel bearing greases out there, how would it compare with Amsoil's Series 2000 racing grease? That's what I used last time I packed the wheel bearings on our SUV and truck. This was a couple of years ago, and they seem to be okay. When it comes time to do them again, I was already considering using the 707L, what makes it one of the best wheel bearing grease?

I personally have used 707L quite a bit...I have never had any bearing failures while using it. My father worked at the Rouseville refinery when it was still there, he swore by 707L. Its just difficult for me to find...

The only reason I bought this case of #274 is that I needed to jump that $350 hurdle to get free shipping. Figured their Series 9000 worked well, why not try their grease too.

On edit...not that my experience tells you why it is a good grease!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Johnny- you said the 707L is one of the best wheel bearing greases out there, how would it compare with Amsoil's Series 2000 racing grease? That's what I used last time I packed the wheel bearings on our SUV and truck. This was a couple of years ago, and they seem to be okay. When it comes time to do them again, I was already considering using the 707L, what makes it one of the best wheel bearing grease?

Two very different greases, synthetic Vs non-synthetic. I'm sure the Amsoil has a higher melting point than the 707L, but that's about it. I have always used the 707L for wheel bearings and sold thousands of pounds of it when I worked for Pennzoil. It was made for wheel bearings with disc brakes and I have never known it to fail. Back in the day both Jim Hall and Penske (the Rick Mears days) used the 707L in the front wheel bearings of the yellow Pennzoil Indy Cars.

It's just a great wheel bearing grease that will take a beating. I know a lot of shops that also use it for a chassis grease, though I do not recommend it for that application.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
In the automotive application, how would your rate #274 to others? I just bought a case of it (a little late to ask I guess), trying to get some opinions.

274 is a great grease it's a versatile, multipurpose Aluminum Complex base, high resistance to wash out, aimed for cooler weather operation it's a syn blend good for temps -20 to 350 NLGI #2,it's a perfect grease for that plication.

i use #238(basically the same grease) it's more for summer time temps little thicker i use it for ALL my needs, chassis lube, heavy equipment pin and bush use,5th wheels etc,etc.

you made a great choice!!!

One last question, would you repack bearings if you had (stoopidly) used Lucas? I'm really considering pulling at least the hub I packed with Lucas and repacking with my newly acquired Schaeffers...

Opinions?

Depends on how much the part costs, how much time it takes to get off and back on, and how much you'd kick yourself if it fails.

Personally, I would, I don't like or trust Lucas products.

It makes a noticeable difference in ujoints and balljoints/tierod ends. This is direct observation and seat-of-the pants feel:

I have noticed a significant DECREASE in the amount of water that gets ejected from balljoints and tierod ends, the ejected grease is also no longer "rusty". Same conditions, same time interval. It has also made my steering less "sticky" (for lack of a better term")...probably because the water isn't doing its harm.

The ujoints in the rear shaft don't "feel" the same driving either (Less vibrations? Hard to explain, but things are definitely smoother)...and there is less "void" in the joints each time I grease them (less pumps required to eject grease from the seals). My front axleshaft joints don't see much use because of lockout hobs, so I can't tell any difference there.

Previous greases included Lucas (latest) and TSC Premium (early)...

I "repacked" my idler pulley(s) today using #274...one set has 212k the other one has 140k. I hope it works well in this application because these aren't something that are easy to get at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back