Mobil 1 Key component to Corvette Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know the 996/997 cup cars use M1 0w40 and also saw Penske putting it in an RS Spyder at Mid-Ohio...straight outta the bottle and another 6 pack sitting on the pit wall...looked like they bought it at Autozone.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: wapacz
Do we even know if they are using a consumer available oil ?

No. Probably one of their racing oils. Could be custom blend. However, Johnny was at Daytona and a lot of teams do use the off the shelf Mobil 1.
How can you be sure that it is off the shelf oil? Anything can be in the bottles.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Dieselbob
Actually, the new GT2 car has a rather large amount of stock Corvette pieces on it, and the race engines are built by GM at the plant that builds the Z06 and ZR1 engines.

...and I believe, even for the C5/6R GT1 cars, that at least the center 'spine' of the C5/6 street cars had to be used to comply with the ALMS/IMSA rules?
I am sure they are more than just stock.

If you're talking abot the engine, the GT2 engine is downsized and underpowered compared to it's street going Z06 counterpart, 5.5 liters vs 7.0 and 485 HP @5800 RPM, VS 505 HP @ 6300 RPM. The primary difference in the two engines is crankshaft stroke, the CNC ported heads on the race motor, and the individual runner intake on the race motor. The bulk of the engine pieces are stock or lightly modified Z06/ZR1 parts.

Well, the Z06 and ZR1 engines are all hand built at the Wixom Performance Build center with choice components anyway, so while it may not be quite like a regular everyday engine, it is a heck of a lot closer to a stock engine than the GT1 engines that were custom built by Katech and used a block that was $7500.00 retail alone. I believe The warranty and emission certification testing done on the Z06 and ZR1 engines proved to GM that with the very restricted nature of ALMS GT2 class, there was really no reason to spend huge dollars to have an outside vendor build ultra custom one-off engines to accomplish something LESS demanding than what their street engines can accomplish. I can't remember the details, but the W.O.T. tests done on the street engines was far more severe than anything the race engines would see over 24 hours at LeMans.

Originally Posted By: Dieselbob
Well, the Z06 and ZR1 engines are all hand built at the Wixom Performance Build center with choice components anyway, so while it may not be quite like a regular everyday engine, it is a heck of a lot closer to a stock engine than the GT1 engines that were custom built by Katech and used a block that was $7500.00 retail alone. I believe The warranty and emission certification testing done on the Z06 and ZR1 engines proved to GM that with the very restricted nature of ALMS GT2 class, there was really no reason to spend huge dollars to have an outside vendor build ultra custom one-off engines to accomplish something LESS demanding than what their street engines can accomplish. I can't remember the details, but the W.O.T. tests done on the street engines was far more severe than anything the race engines would see over 24 hours at LeMans.

^^^^Yup!
I do not believe the GT2 rules allow them to use the GT1's C5/6R block, correct??

As I suspected it may kinda look like a Vette, it may kinda have Vette looking parts . But like a NASCAR when it is a Chevrolet it really isn't anything like the Chevrolets that the comsumers purchase. Though it gives them the warm fuzzy I belong to and look a Chevrolet just like the one I own won the race so I will run M1 just like the big boys do. Though if I run Amsoil in my boat I will let me win races just like team Teague.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
As I suspected it may kinda look like a Vette, it may kinda have Vette looking parts . But like a NASCAR when it is a Chevrolet it really isn't anything like the Chevrolets that the comsumers purchase. Though it gives them the warm fuzzy I belong to and look a Chevrolet just like the one I own won the race so I will run M1 just like the big boys do. Though if I run Amsoil in my boat I will let me win races just like team Teague.

I think that you misunderstood my post.

What I was implying to/asking D.B. was that GT2 rules would not allow the C5/6R engine block to be used.
This is an aftermarket (like he said~$7500 for a BARE block), engine block which is based on the LSx series street engines' architecture, but strengthened, with better oiling and crank 'window to window' breathing.

I was implying that the GT2 engines ARE the street engine blocks with I.T.B. induction, ported cylinder heads, etc., just as D.B. stated.

Got it??

They are not production line engines . Most race stuff is really modified even though it is a stock part.

True, but the ONLY racing class which EVER required pure stock, base, production engines, in production cars was the SCCA's Showroom Stock class for road racing.

Hi,
oliver88 - Your experience mirrors mine. This is the case here and in Germany too

Both Daimler AG and Porsche (and their key component suppliers) have extensive Engineering staff interchanges and resident Engineers. In MBs case this has been so since the 1930s and especially so with engine and component development

The difference is that in many cases, like LeMans for example, whilst the ENGINES may not be the same as you have in your every day street car, the OIL they run IS. M1 0w40 that Porsche runs at LeMans is the same oil I can buy at Canadian Tire.

They are not as production line engines . Most race stuff is really modified even though it is a stock part.

Probably a lot less modified than you think. The ZR1 cranks, rods, pistons, valves, etc. were designed for a 640 HP supercharged engine, and they were designed to last. That engine has the same 5 year 100,000 mile warranty the rest of GM lineup has, so doing 485 HP at a lower RPM is really a walk in the park for those components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back