Track event with daily driver...oil change questio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tracking an 2007 Audi A4 for the first time. Basic question is this, is it better to change the oil prior to racing, after or both before and after. I currently run mobil 1 0W-40 at 5k OCI's. I will be in between at the time of the race with approx 2500 miles on the oil. Thanks!!!

I agree.

When I was running three events per year in my daily driver, I was told by Redline to change the oil once a year at around 8K miles per year.

I'd watch the OCI with a turbo engine that sees track time, but M1 0w40 should stand up very well.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
5,000 miles doesn't even make the oil work up a sweat. It is syn oil!!!

I have chosen 5K OCI's because it is a modified turbo (KO4,pipe,exhaust,intake,chip) with known issues such as fuel dilution and shearing. These engines are known to be particularly harsh on oil and many here would argue that even Mobil 1 0w-40 doesn't cut in this application. I was more interested in track specific recomendations. Sounds like the general recomendation is not to sweat it and keep things as is. Cool! Thanks for the info!

For what it is worth, I sponsor a guy that races Champ Sprints at Brill motor speedway. We were having our engines built until the 2008 season when we decided to do it ourselves. Dallas engine builder balanced the rotating assy. Local machine work here in OKC. We raced this engine all of 08 and 09, won the track championship in 09, and it bent a push rod and dropped a valve the last race of the year, non points race. We were going to freshen the motor in between years, but after inspection we decided not to. We used Series 2000 20-50 in 08 and the Dominator 15-50 in 09, this engine was broke in with the 20-50. Rotating assy is fine, block is fine, just needs some head work. The OCI was 6 races, with a filter change and top off after 3 races.

Stick with your syn. oil, with that turbo you will need it.

2BBL 500 cfm, 360CI, winged sprint car.
http://www.brillmotorspeedway.com/champ.htm

Although M1 0W-40 is an excellent oil, I'd change over to Redline - this is what it's made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back