2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Non MDS Hemi engine that has recently developed a loud ticking noise at cold startup (40,000 miles on truck). Noise goes away in about 30 seconds. This all began after the last oil change with Mobil1 0w20. Engine specs 5w20 in the hemi engine and it was changed every 5000 miles. I was wondering if a thicker oil would stop this noise or make it less noticible. Replaced the oil filter to make sure I could rule that out with a factory Mopar filter and it made no difference. Could it be the thin oil or is it time to move on to a 5w30 or a 10w30?

Your 0w20 cold is thicker than a 50wt when hot so upping viscosity may actually make matters worse.

What oil were you using before? However I doubt it has anything to do with it being a certain brand.

Unless it continues to get louder or lasts longer I doubt it is a mechanical issue. When something is going bad it usually worsens at an exponential rate until failure occurs.

robd,

I get the same condition sometimes in my 01' Durango 4.7 V-8 engine using the Mopar Filters. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and don't worry about it as it always goes away. I think the engines just pumping up into the internals engine parts.

Stay with your 5W-20 weight oil to keep your MPG as high as possible.

Durango

The ambient temp in the mornings has been about 20-30F when the ticking occurs. Truck runs great otherwise. I ran PP 5w20 for most of the life of the truck.

Last edited:
If a noise like this goes away quickly at start up, it means oil is filling something that leaked or drained out.

Possible sources are adjustable lifters, cam chain adjuster, or simply a faulty or improper anti drainback valve in the oil filter.

It is possible that the slightly thinner oil [at start up] shows this problem more. Parts are contracted and sloppy until they heat up.

robd,

In either case your situation is not uncommon in Dodge engines and if you go and view other sites that's specializes in Dodge trucks you'll see very clearly it's a common problem. Again, It happens to my truck too and my mechanic at the dealership assures my not to worry.

Again stay with the oil weight that's indicated in your manual and you should be fine.

You might consider trying other brand of oils to see if this issue still occurs.

I've tried Quaker State "Q" synthetic oil and had much better luck so consider giving it a try and see what happens.

Durango

Thanks for the replies. The ticking doesn't last more than 30 seconds at most and can never be heard after that.

robd,

Yes you can try a different oil filter too but doing so I can't say anything about. It has been talked about on other forums that it is related to the filter but it's not what I experienced using an OEM/Mopear filter.

Ifyou decide to try a different brand of filter like hounddog indicates don't use Purolater as I heard Mopars are in reality Purolater.

Durango

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a lifter bleeding down after sitting a while( or it may be sticking )or a failed/not performing properly ADBV in your filter. Those would be my 1st guess.

The infamous HEMI TICK is not a cold start thing. It is a constant thing that is always there and in most cases is even a little louder when the engine is warm. Does not go away once the engine warms up so this is not that TICK associated with HEMI's.

Try a new filter 1st. If that doesn't fix it then try a Seafoam treatment in the crankcase to see if it frees anything up. I would even consider trying a different brand of synthetic oil( NOTE - a LOT of guys who have the HEMI TICK say it is worse on Mobil 1 so try a different brand to see if it helps even though this is not the "TICK" - PP and RP seems to quiet the TICK down the best so there are 2 options to consider for you ). I wouldn't go thicker with the oil however as this is a cold start issue so a thicker oil that does not flow as well when the engine is cold will only worsen things. If none of that fixes it then you will have to start considering more serious problems.

So many new vehicles have cold start noises( piston slap, various tensioners, sloppy valvetrains, etc... )these days it is not funny. They always say not to worry about it but it still bugs me as I am sure it does you. Unfortunately, in many cases there is nothing that can be done about it.

Last edited:
Update, The truck was not driven very much when the noise was first noticed, lately I have been putting about 50 miles a day on the truck and noticed that the startup tick is almost gone. Looks like it was a lifter sticking.

Now I will be getting the truck ready for the summer camping season and I was wondering if maybe a heavier oil shoud be used when towing our 7000 lb camper. Maybe I would be better off using a 5w30 in the summer? Truck specs 5w-20 for all temps. Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robd
Update, The truck was not driven very much when the noise was first noticed, lately I have been putting about 50 miles a day on the truck and noticed that the startup tick is almost gone. Looks like it was a lifter sticking.

Now I will be getting the truck ready for the summer camping season and I was wondering if maybe a heavier oil shoud be used when towing our 7000 lb camper. Maybe I would be better off using a 5w30 in the summer? Truck specs 5w-20 for all temps. Any info would be appreciated.

1 - I would add some Seafoam 50-100 miles before you plan to do your next OC and it should help finish freeing up whatever was sticking. It is very good stuff and works wonders.

2 - 5W-30 is actually fine year round for your 05 5.7L even though it spec's 5W-20 if you wish to run it. You can even run 10W-30 in the warmer months if needed and do no harm. The move to 5W-20 away from the previous 2003-2004 30 weight recommendations in 05 was strictly for CAFE reasons and no other. The ONLY 5.7L from 03-08( in 09 they redesigned the 5.7L )that "NEEDS" 5W-20 are 06-08 years that have MDS. Otherwise a 30 weight can be run with no "mechanical" issues.

Dodge has really flipped around on the oil spec on the 5.7L from 03-08 despite the engine basically being the same except when MDS was added in 06( 1500's only ). From 03-08 the 5.7L was the same basic motor either w/ or w/o MDS( 06-08 )so you can run 20 or 30 weight oil in your 05 2500 as you do not have MDS to worry about.

Here are the oil recommendations by year just to show you what I mean( again same engine just w/ or w/o MDS in 06-08 )...

2003 = 5W-30 or 10W-30( not below 0 F )all model Rams
2004 = 5W-30 or 10W-30( not below 0 F )all model Rams
2005 = 5W-20 all model Rams
2006 = 5W-20 all model Rams
2007 = 5W-20 all 1500's(MDS), Mega Cabs, & HD's under 14000lbs GVWR / 5W-30 HD's over 14000lbs GVWR
2008 = 5W-20 all 1500's(MDS), Mega Cabs, & HD's under 14000lbs GVWR / 5W-30 HD's over 14000lbs GVWR

Last edited:
Update. The noise is still there and I found the problem. The last cylinder bottom exhaust manifold stud on passenger side of the motor snapped off flush with the exhaust manifold. The ticking goes away after startup. Looking at the extened warranty to see if it covers it (7/70 powertrain), if not I probably would just live with it.

I'd definitely see if I could get some relief from the dealer on a snapped manifold stud. Even if they don't warranty it, it shouldn't inherently be a really expensive job, unless its really really hard to get at the manifold on that truck (IIRC, its not too bad).

Last edited:
Dealer just called and it is covered under the 7/70 warranty. Thanks to everybody for all the info on this post.

Last edited:
Wierd with Dodges and their exhaust logs. I did the exhaust manifold gaskets on a '04 1500 with the 4.7 and the logs were warped about an 1/8" if I remember correctly. Had to have them shaved.

The fact that the noise 'goes away in 30 seconds' is unusual for a manifold leak like this. It really is.
It usually takes a lot longer.
This is why we zeroed in on oil, filters, and lifters - noises that would go away fast on a start up.

It got me thinking about an oil related problem also, but you can hear it from the area around the exhaust port where the stud is broken. There is a carbon stain on the head around the manifold. Not a very big leak but it is there. Will have to see after the fix if all the noise goes away. Hopefully this will fix it.

Truck was at the dealer for a week and I called yesterday. I was informed that the manifold stud was broke off too close to the head and they have to remove the head and take it to a machine shop. (They probably broke it off again flush with the head.) I just changed the coolant and oil before it went to the dealer. Should the oil be changed again after the fix due to possible coolant in the oil from the head removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back