Oil consensus - Japanese late model sports bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, guys - my first post. Been doing a lot of trolling through this site especially the UOAs and can't seem to find any consensus on good motorcycle oils for sportsbikes.

My application is for a Suzuki GSX-R750 k6 and K1 1000. The 750 is used mainly for commuting and an occasional weekend blast. The 1000 much the same.

I read a post here somewhere that had amongst other links, this one. I know it looks more like an ad for Amsoil but the data presented gives someone an idea to what to look at.

Has anyone got some recommendations, particularly for Australia. I am thinking of getting 12 qts of Rotella T 15W40 for about $100 shipped and landed. Currently using Motul 5100 20W50. about AUD$65 for 4litres.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with Rotella T6 full synthetic if you can get it. It seems like a very good combo of a overall package and a good price and availability. I'm about to switch to it when my break in is all over. I'm more likely to wreck the bike before I see any significant wear on the engine IMHO.

Sorry, used the wrong word there. I haven't been trolling, jeez I am behind with internet lingo. I have been strolling or scrolling, but definitely not trolling..

Dude it really does look like trolling, I know you aren't - but:

a) you posted a non-BITOG sponsor Amsoil website
b) The paper has been posted 100's of times.

Please, if you can't or don't do a search and want to post something from Amsoil, either contact one of the Amsoil site sponsors or, post an unaffiliated link from Amsoil.com.

Thanks,

Paul

Oh yeah almost forgot:
welcome2.gif
Yes there are some rules here, but in general the rules work. No FREE advertising, for example.

with 2 post so far, I think lurking is the word your looking for. Most do some before the sign in.I would think any of the big name Diesel oils would work for you and cheap also. How has what you have been using doing? might not need to change.,

Well, what can you get is Australia? Here, the cheap oil for most bikes is Rotella 5-40 or even the 15-40. I assume you can get something similar there.

Of course, there are perhaps better purpose-specific oils like Amsoil or Motul, but the Rotella hasn't done me wrong yet.

I believe in Australia Shell's brand name for diesel oils is Rimula, though I don't know if they use the same formulations that we do in the USA. Here in the USA a lot of sportbike riders are using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic, or Rotella T 15W-40 dino diesel oils. They are both rated JASO MA, which means they are suitable for wet clutches.

There are quite a few people from down under that frequent this site and can help with this topic but I'm going to have to say that $100 for a case of Shell Rotella is very expensive. Yes it is good oil and will serve you well but that is about four times what it costs here (obviously delivery is not a factor here, granted). Shell has a presence in Australia and the HDEO is sold as Shell Rimula right? Also Mobil Delvac is there. I would think these are as good (the same as here?) and can found locally for a much better price.

Delo 400 is pretty easy to get here in Aust. Can't get Rotella although they do sell Rimula but I don't know if it's the same. And Delvac 1, however Delvac 1 is pretty expensive (on par with 'motorbike oils' like Motul 5100 etc).

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Dude it really does look like trolling, I know you aren't - but:

a) you posted a non-BITOG sponsor Amsoil website
b) The paper has been posted 100's of times.

Please, if you can't or don't do a search and want to post something from Amsoil, either contact one of the Amsoil site sponsors or, post an unaffiliated link from Amsoil.com.

Thanks,

Paul

Oh yeah almost forgot:
welcome2.gif
Yes there are some rules here, but in general the rules work. No FREE advertising, for example.

So I take it the rules prohibit any links to oil manufacturers that are not sponsors of the website?

I did many searches but I could not find any consensus. Just a bunch of random, uncontrolled, unscientific, sporadic UOAs from different people for different bikes and oils.

That is why I posted the link to the Amsoil site. A very reasonable attempt to do a controlled test, albeit a big advertisement.

I want someone that sounds clever, like you, to come back to me and say the test is bull, or the test is right and it has or hsan't been verified. Or some other links to better tests, I haven't been able to find anything better yet from heaps off googling and site searching.

Thanks for the welcome.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
There are quite a few people from down under that frequent this site and can help with this topic but I'm going to have to say that $100 for a case of Shell Rotella is very expensive. Yes it is good oil and will serve you well but that is about four times what it costs here (obviously delivery is not a factor here, granted). Shell has a presence in Australia and the HDEO is sold as Shell Rimula right? Also Mobil Delvac is there. I would think these are as good (the same as here?) and can found locally for a much better price.

Thanks EagleFTE. Yes expensive, but you guys in the states have got it good, trust me. Do a google search with the site:com.au directer to Australian websites and have a look what we pay for other country oils compared to you guys. It is at least double or more.

Rimula is not the same as Rotella, I checked. It is not recommended by Shell for motorcycles, can't remember why.

I'll have a look at the Delvac.

Originally Posted By: Craig750

1) So I take it the rules prohibit any links to oil manufacturers that are not sponsors of the website?

2) I did many searches but I could not find any consensus. Just a bunch of random, uncontrolled, unscientific, sporadic UOAs from different people for different bikes and oils.

3) That is why I posted the link to the Amsoil site. A very reasonable attempt to do a controlled test, albeit a big advertisement.

4) I want someone that sounds clever, like you, to come back to me and say the test is bull, or the test is right and it has or hsan't been verified. Or some other links to better tests, I haven't been able to find anything better yet from heaps off googling and site searching.

Thanks for the welcome.

1) Manufacturer links for technical purposes are OK, but what you posted was an Amsoil dealer's site, NOT Amsoil's site.

2) Absolutely that's all you will find on BITOG. This is an opinion site. Most agree on one thing, the search engine here is balky. I was actually referring to searching for the MC oil study paper being posted before.

3) It's the dealer's site that got you, not the paper itself. But yes, the study is a reasonable attempt. Better than most, but it's an advertisement.

4) I wasn't trying to be clever, I just try to be brief. The test is not bull. It was run by a independent lab. Some here will claim that the study and all Amsoil data is just completely made up. They have no proof, they just say this out of hatred for Amsoil and some weird attempt at stirring the pot and trying to appear intelligent. Also, some who make such claims actually work for competing oil companies. Amsoil isn't perfect, no company is. Amsoil has said some stupid things over the years - more corny than truly harmful.

Again, this is an opinion site and many people with interesting monikers. Reader beware. That said - BITOG is great site, with a lot of cool information.

Indeed - welcome!!!

I was thinking the OP was interested in something a bit more ecomomical than Motul or Maxima. Those are in the $10-$15 / Qt range here in the US (depending on which product you choose in their respective lineups) and probably more over there. So something like the Rotella would be great if you can find a similar product in price and quality. I think I have seen some Australia made products for racing applications that might be worth a look but can't remember what they are. If cost is not an object you could look at Motul, Maxima, Red Line, Amsoil, M1 4T, Bel Ray, Klotz, Royal Purple, etc. and have it shipped. But I think a locally available HDEO would be fine and if it is JASO-MA so much the better.

Kawasaki makes an excellent, ester-based synthetic oil that is reportedly made by Motul. It was developed for their sport-bikes.

Yes right EagleFTE. I was looking for a HDEO that performs as good or better than some of the hyped motorcycle oil names.

Trouble is the US Rotella is not available here, so I have to look at locally available equivalents.

I also want economy. If I have to pay double or triple the price of a HDEO and it is going to last 2-3 times longer then it is economical. As there is lest time spent on labour doing oil changes. (I.E. more fun time)

Pablo, if the test was bull I suppose there would have been plenty of opportunity for the other oil names mentinoned to rebutt it.

Originally Posted By: Craig750
Originally Posted By: EagleFTE

Thanks EagleFTE. Yes expensive, but you guys in the states have got it good, trust me. Do a google search with the site:com.au directer to Australian websites and have a look what we pay for other country oils compared to you guys. It is at least double or more.

Rimula is not the same as Rotella, I checked. It is not recommended by Shell for motorcycles, can't remember why.

I'll have a look at the Delvac.

Funny. When I raced 2 strokes, it was cheaper to have Shell Advance sent over from Australia to the states, than to buy some of the boutique oils here. Shell Advance should be readily available there, and is a fine oil for both bikes mentioned. I would pick the 10w40, and ride with no worries on either mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back