Pennzoil Ultra 1st impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we all know 1st impressions are very important in any relationships. I'm interested to see who is using PU and what your first impressions are?

I for one of course am using it in out 07 F150. Previouse fill was Redline and I could not believe how quiet the engine became when switching to it from MC blend. I recently almost 6000 miles ago put ultra in the 07 and could tell zero difference between it and the redline...very smooth. Right after I did the change we took a trip to vegas and yielded 19MPG hand caculated over the 4 days. This was the best out 5.4L has gotten to date. So far after 6k usage is zero compared to 1/2 quart with MC blend and zero with redline.

I have 12qts of 5-30 redline left that I will be using in my 99 4.6 then it will be on a PU diet.

In about 2k roughly 2-3 weeks I will have a UOA on PU with 8K maybe sooner if we take that trip to SD I have been trying to plan.

Lets hear your impressions.

I like it, but I can tell very little to no difference between PU and PP from behind the wheel. My truck seems to be slightly less clattery next to buildings and other cars with the PU, but switching from PP to PU in the truck didn't give me that dramatic quieting/smoothing effect that I got from the PP to RL switch in the Mustang.

Put some PU 5w30 in a Hyundai Elantra w/ a Pure One filter
this vehicle for me makes oil very dirty very quick ,
every time I change out the oil it is just seems very tired as best as I can say w/o a UOA
( I do the paper oil drop test )

As far as mileage with the PU I see no difference
As far as looks - can't tell much of a difference between it and PP

Last edited:
I have about 750 miles on Ultra. Previous used PYB for 2 years, previous to that was PP. Honenstly only noticed when I put Ultra in. This was about a month ago and very cold then. Engine felt much smoother. Beyond that, yesterday I noticed some black (paint looking stuff) flaking off the inside of the valve cover. Is it cleaning it??? Don't know. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I have about 750 miles on Ultra. Previous used PYB for 2 years, previous to that was PP. Honenstly only noticed when I put Ultra in. This was about a month ago and very cold then. Engine felt much smoother. Beyond that, yesterday I noticed some black (paint looking stuff) flaking off the inside of the valve cover. Is it cleaning it??? Don't know. Time will tell.

make sure you cut that filter open. The paint like substance could be sludge. I'm not aware of any manufactures painting the inside of valve covers

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Previouse fill was Redline

Redline to PU? I think you went backwards there.

Yeah well it's kinda overkill for my 4.6. It'll be a year before my current fill and this case is used anyway. Redline IMO still beats all

switched from mobil 1 5w-30 truck and suv and haven't noticed a difference but i only have about 200 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

make sure you cut that filter open. The paint like substance could be sludge. I'm not aware of any manufactures painting the inside of valve covers

Well, I didn't notice this till yesterday. I will cut the filter open. Now that I am aware of the inside of the valve cover cleaning up or....whatever is happening. I will pay attention to it to see if is gradually eroding the thin-paint like stuff OR if it is coming up in large pieces.

I will take a picture tomorrow with the GF's camera (using macro).

I'm liking it quite a bit in the Ranger, have 2800 miles on it. Mileage is good like usual, I may do a UOA on it. So far, so good :)

I was due for an oil change in the Subaru and decided to try it rather than the M1 0w40 I had been using. I cant tell any difference so far but Ive only got a few hundred miles on it since I only drive it in good weather. Im very tired of rain here.

Yeah well it's kinda overkill for my 4.6. It'll be a year before my current fill and this case is used anyway. Redline IMO still beats all

I agree with you there and believe PU, PP, M1 will all serve the same purpose for you at a lesser cost. I love my Redline, don't get me wrong, but I use M1 on my daily drivers for economical reasons.

I just wonder why they Shell, used Walmart for the lead off re. the product. Kinda very expensive car uses it for a factory fill, then they go off and introduce it at Walmart ??? Guess they know what they are doing.

Because Wal Mart sells more oil off the retail shelf than anyone else in North America.

Wal Mart by itself sells more oil than Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, and O'Riellys put together.

I always thought that Walmart was the king of oil sales but the image..... some 425 lb woman hitting her kid as you walk through the store towards the checkout counter.. $$$$$ is the most important thing I know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back