Diesel-rated 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so lately I've been on the 0w40 kick. Now I'm looking at comparing with several diesel rated 5w30s (Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, Amsoil HDD, Redline 5w30, Euro diesel 5w30s)
28.gif

Does anyone else see this as a problem?
27.gif

I must say Bob I have been very impressed with HDD in the past. Thats a tough one to beat for 5-30 diesel oil.

I am in the same boat, I am running HDEO 0W's and would like a 5W-30 that is just as strong but also easy to get my hands on. I am adding a ford explorer with the 4.0L OHV to the fleet, so it would be a perfect oil for my application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you don't want to be over crowded with oil I would be glad to store some for you.
grin2.gif

Find me a job up there and it's a deal!
cheers3.gif

Amsoil HDD gets my vote, but Castrol Elixion is also another choice...really pricey, though.

Originally Posted By: daman
Dont forget TDT.

Been there and done that. Too thick for this engine in the winter compared a Euro Xw40/thinner API Xw40 or Euro/API Xw30.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Dont forget TDT.

Been there and done that. Too thick for this engine in the winter compared a Euro Xw40/thinner API Xw40 or Euro/API Xw30.

Really? i use this oil im my manual start 10hp snow blower and it spins over effortlessly with one hand.

Hey Bob, what about 0W30? Motorcraft has a new CJ4 out in that weight...
Also, for those close to the border there is always XD3.

Dont forget TDT.

Really? i use this oil im my manual start 10hp snow blower and it spins over effortlessly with one hand.

It starts fine with TDT, a bit of lifter clatter. Sluggish feeling until it warms up some. But it's much better with a thinner oil. (I can't believe I'm saying this...but it's much better with oils VW intended for it to use)

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Hey Bob, what about 0W30? Motorcraft has a new CJ4 out in that weight...
Also, for those close to the border there is always XD3.

Maybe...the HTHS of those is usually below 3.5.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you don't want to be over crowded with oil I would be glad to store some for you.
grin2.gif

Find me a job up there and it's a deal!
cheers3.gif

If I could find a job up here I would take it.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Johnny deffinetly needs some diesel oil
19.gif

I will pretty soon.

I don't know if applies in your case, but I've read about BMW diesels that run for a while with the recommended oil by BMW (Castrol Edge 5-30), then move up to 5-40 or 5-50 (Mobil 1 5-50 is very popular between the overpowered diesel owners), and then if they go back to 5-30 they get oil consumpion, while they hadn't consumed a drop during all their life.

Originally Posted By: ecco123

I don't know if applies in your case, but I've read about BMW diesels that run for a while with the recommended oil by BMW (Castrol Edge 5-30), then move up to 5-40 or 5-50 (Mobil 1 5-50 is very popular between the overpowered diesel owners), and then if they go back to 5-30 they get oil consumpion, while they hadn't consumed a drop during all their life.

I guess I'll find out
thumbsup2.gif

It will be interesting to know.

What are your reasons to go from 0-40 to 5-30?.

In my father's BMW 330XD, they had been putting Castrol Edge 5-30, last week it reached 160.000 km, the mechanic recommended moving up to Motul 5-40 (also fully synthetic LL04 like the Castrol) as he thought 5-30 was starting to be too thin for this engine and mileage.

I was a bit reluctant to do so, for the reason posted before, but now it's done, so I guess we won't go back to the 5-30. Maybe Mobil 1 0-40 would be a better option for the winter, that's why I'm interested in why you want to change it with 5-30.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back