F1 pit stops today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody see how fast they were today? Insane! Apparently they redesigned the air guns and some other things. Not sure what all changed but I just saw all 4 tires changed and car back out racing in a little over 4 seconds! Pretty cool to see.

I kinda miss the 3.5 gal per second Intertechnique fuel rigs. I still wish they went back to Q motors, active suspension, and ground effects.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I kinda miss the 3.5 gal per second Intertechnique fuel rigs. I still wish they went back to Q motors, active suspension, and ground effects.

I agree 100%. I think I'd rather see a 4-team F1 grid than a grid made up of a few competitive teams and lots of marginally competitive teams filling out the scenery. Cost cutting rules, restrictions for lower car speeds, artificial attempts to bunch-up the cars for increased "competition," etc. all have their place, but IMO not in F1. This should be the premiere series in the world. If you don't have the money for spare engines, advanced engineering and testing, the most highly skilled drivers then join one of the other numerous racing series out there - just don't dumb-down F1.

The racing was much better back in the days when there were no pit stops. In those days the driver had to take care of the tires for the whole race. So some fast guys who could not do tire management wuld zoom out front, only to be caught and passed in the waining laps by those that could.

The race was kind of a snooze-fest. Racing with no refueling makes for more boring, more conservative events where many factors are calculated ahead of time. The race just becomes a parade with few variables to mix things up.

The teams were complaining how boring this race was that very afternoon.

The problem is, every time they change the rules (often in an effort to save money), the teams spend MORE money to develop a car that is competitive at that new spec. Even limitations on engines and transmissions used are foolish as teams will scrap many castings of heads, blocks, etc ... for that ONE PERFECT ONE that will last the multiple events required.

Remember the days when they thought not allowing tire changes would save money? Kimi Raikonnen flat spotted a tire and the vibration during the rest of the race caused his carbon fiber suspension to shatter (explode) with just 1-2 laps to go.

At least they lifted that ban right quick. Only the idiots at the FIA would think that limiting competitors to a few tires per weekend would save money in a sport where the teams spend hundreds of millions per year.

I like the mix of teams this year ... but we need refueling and I'd like to see engines and transmissions have to last only one event. I hate when baggage from one event carries over into the next.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
The problem is, every time they change the rules (often in an effort to save money), the teams spend MORE money to develop a car that is competitive at that new spec. Even limitations on engines and transmissions used are foolish as teams will scrap many castings of heads, blocks, etc ... for that ONE PERFECT ONE that will last the multiple events required.

A: engine blocks in F1 are machined out of Forged Aluminum Billets, not cast. I don't know about the heads. I'm not saying they don't throw a few blocks away, its just they are not cast.

B: the one rule change that would return F1 to a race where passing would take place is effectively prohibited. This rule would ban all aerodynamics and mandate the body have the shape of a convex hull--with some reasonable allowance for cooling ports. No wings, spoilers, barge boards, diffusers, wingletts, fins,... The reason it is prohibited is that these devices are where the majority of the billboard space exists.

C: If you did rule B above, there is no need for rules on engine performance, tires, brakes,... Without downforce, braking distances go up 3X, acceleration distance go up 2.5X, cornering speeds go down 1/2X, and safety improves. At the same time the racing improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back