Dog Owners: What brand dog food do you purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until they were about 14 months we fed our beagles Innova Puppy, once they were old enough we transitioned them to Blue Wilderness.

Dog Food Analysis Site

Not surprising, many of the big names (Purina, Beneful, etc) don't rate very well. While quality foods such as Blue Wilderness and Innova are more expensive, dogs eat less since it contains more high quality protein and few (if any) fillers, by products and grains making it as cost effective as the cheap brands.

Kirkland brand and my dog is doing real good it is a Lab, Border Collie mix. He is 12 years old and has eaten Kirkland for most of his life. He is allergic to corn so that is what I look for in the ingerdients. Some dog food is really bad.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I've been feeding Diamond Naturals which is sold at Tractor Supply. It is a far better dog food than the supermarket brands (Dog Chow, Pedigree, Gravy Train etc....) for not much more money.

Dog food has really gone up in price in the past 3 or 4 years. The bag of Purina ONE that used to be $25 to $29 (depending on the sale) for 37.5 lbs. is now $35 to $40 for 34 lbs.
I'm assuming the rise is due to the cost of corn skyrocketing because of ethanol production.
Corn is for making pigs and cows fat.

Brickle has been eating the dry purple-bagged Iams for many years (he'll be 11 years old this fall). He also gets Milk Bones or, usually, the No Name equivalent for treats.

If I were choosing his food, I'd probably mix it up and buy something different every month. He's not fussy; he'll eat anything he can get to on the street or in the garbage.

My dog get's Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice.

butkus.jpg

Science Diet Lamb and Rice. Senior when I can find it, otherwise adult. Little or regular bites.

Milk Bones and Greenies for treats. An occasional Pup-a-Roni.

We have two maremma livestock guardian dogs to keep our goats and chickens from being eaten.
Suzie mostly eats raw ground dog mix from a local butcher, beef lips and a-holes plus some scrap meat and organs. She doesn't have a great coat and it gets worse with any bagged dry dogfood we've tried. Eating the raw food makes the coat managable, and I throw in some dryfood to get some nutrients she may be missing eating only the raw mix.
Enzo eats mostly purina bagged food plus some of the raw mix to keep his gut used to it. His coat seems to be good eating anything.
They get the organs and bones of any goat or deer we butcher, and a few eggs too if the hens lay outside their boxes...

Iams for the dog, Purina for the cats. They all get their "special" (cesar for the dog... something for the cats" on sundays, they all KNOW what day it is, and will wait for it in the kitchen. You should see the cats once they see it out, they start getting all over us lol.

It was Taste of the Wild but I found our new pure Chocolate Lab pup inhaled it rather then chew(too big for her mouth).

Now we are on Blue Buffalo and she loves that just as much.

Anything made by Iams, Purina, Pedigree, etc...is pure filler based junk. Don't believe it? Ask yourself since when is a carnivore supposed to live on corn & wheat?

Not my animals.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Until they were about 14 months we fed our beagles Innova Puppy, once they were old enough we transitioned them to Blue Wilderness.

Dog Food Analysis Site

Not surprising, many of the big names (Purina, Beneful, etc) don't rate very well. While quality foods such as Blue Wilderness and Innova are more expensive, dogs eat less since it contains more high quality protein and few (if any) fillers, by products and grains making it as cost effective as the cheap brands.

Yup thats a great site. My vet turned me onto Orijens and after seeing reviews from many sites including DFA. I have figured nothing would be better for our chihuahuas. Grainless IMO is the only way to go. I have not had one dog ever throw up since using a grainless diet. There are only a few manufactures that make 6 star food. They eat much less do to quality ingrediants and high protien so the cost is not a factor. We even just put our cat on orijens feline

many of the brands mentioned purina, sciencediet/iams,beniful, including royal canine dont get many good reviews. Kirkland gets decent reviews. Most dog owners can do much better for their dogs and it really doesn't cost more then the commercialized brands. Plus I like supporting my local owner/operator business ( petclub ).

One bad misconception is that the 1st ingredient needs to be meat and not grain, but after many hours of research I find most of the 1st 2 ingredients are cooked off so much that the 3rd ingredient becomes the primary. I would choose a product with the 1st 3 ingredients being meat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Dog Food Analysis Site

dogfoodanalysis is one of the biggest pieces of trash on the net. The ratings are based solely on what one women thinks of the ingredients. The ick factor is huge. There isn't a shred of scientific evidence backing any of it. None of it is based on feeding trials. It is guess work, pure and simple. Ever see a predator eat a kill? What do they eat first? Right all the internal organs that go into the meal that goes into the common brands.

One thing you can find on dogfoodanalysis is figures on the calorie content of different foods. Check and you will fine many of the despised common brands are almost as high as the hyped stuff.

If you want a site that presents some factual material along with the junk science, see http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/articles2.html#nutrition

Thanks for that link!

My almost 2 year old female German Shepherd gets Science Diet Active Adult as she is one active dog! She will eat just about anything if I let her but I don't believe in feeding a dog scraps from the dinner table....like my neighbors do. They just throw scraps out on the ground to their yellow Lab and Blue Healer!

I was told that my dog was underweight by a guy on another forum when I mentioned she weighed 75 pounds. He said his weighed in over 130! That seems "fat" to me on a German Shepherd!

Vet says my dog is a normal weight and that she's doing great!

The little poodle in our house gets Pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back