Calcuim.......................2733..................1975
Magnesium....................244...................447
Phosphorous..................1079...................1123
Zinc...........................1270..................1465
Barium..........................1.......................0

SUS vis at 210 F............69 to 78..................75.1
cSt at 100 C................12.7-15.3.................14.29
Flashpoint....................>405.....................420
Fuel.......................... Antifreeze......................0%......................0
Water........................ Insolubles.....................
Report read:
Showing some excess wear at steel parts at the time sample was taken. Universal averages show normal wear for the Cummins 6 BT 5.9L after 6,850 miles of oil use. This oil was in use just 3,653 miles and iron read at 33ppm. That shows excess wear from either cylinders, rotating shafts, parts in the valve train or a combination of all three. Other wear metal were okay. No containments were found. Try ~4000 miles on the new fill then check back to monitor iron wear.

Thanks,
David

Yeah, the truck is worked fairly hard, towing 15K often, but otherwise, not really sure why the iron would be high. We own 4 of these trucks and service them all the same, I am planning to get oil samples for the other 3 on the next change.

The only thing we have noticed is this truck seems to put out more black smoke than the other three. All trucks are stock, auto, 4x4.

Originally Posted By: Gator
DavidT is this CI 4 oil or the new cj4 oil, looks like ci 4.

Not sure, we buy the oil from Napa all the time, this oil was probably purchased around Nov or Dec timeframe.

-David

I thought "LE" was CJ-4??

Originally Posted By: deeter16317

I thought "LE" was CJ-4??

Thats what I thought as well, I believe this is the CJ4 spec newer oil.

-David

One UOA is nothing to put total faith in, or panic over. But it's not to be completely ignored either.

Your UOA duration is about 1/2 the universal average, but your Fe is much higher. They called that out. But I also see that your Cu is 50% higher, with half the mileage. That is also perhaps a precursor to something.

Heavy towing use can often spike up Fe, but that's always in some perspective of duration. In 3.6k miles, 33 ppm of Fe is still a bit more than I'd like to see.

Not at all time to panic, but I'd say continued UOAs would be advisable. And presuming your other trucks run similar routes and maintenance plans, comparison to those would not hurt either. That is a great benefit that you have that most of us don't. WE have to compare our singular vehicle to a mass of other unknowns; you get to compare your four vehicles under very similar circumstances.

Keep us informed; we live vicariously through the UOAs of others!

I will report back on the other trucks and plan to check this truck again at next oil change.

-David

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
But I also see that your Cu is 50% higher, with half the mileage.

I want to remember copper being from the oil cooler???

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
But I also see that your Cu is 50% higher, with half the mileage.

I want to remember copper being from the oil cooler???

"Miles on truck.........160,000"

The Cu leaching from the cooler should be well overwith by now.

What is possible is if the OP has changed brands of oil and didn't tell us. Sometimes the chemistry changes from brand to brand can set off small spikes as the metals "normalize" to a new host oil. But he didn't mention it, so I didn't assume it.

Last edited:
Not on the dodges, they continually leach copper from the oil cooler, especially if the oil is changed brand to brand.

We purchased the truck with about 153,000 miles and this was the 2nd oil change we have performed. We have used Delo oil for both changes, plan to sample again at the next oil change.

It's quite possible that the brand you've selected is different from those in the past, and you're experiencing some chemistry reaction in the Cu.

You'll know really quick if you UOA the other trucs, and see similar resutls. If this is the case, you'll likely see the Cu fall over time with the "normalization" of chemistry, as we mentioned before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back