Calcium Sulfonate thickened grease for guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Tetra gun grease for semi auto slides, work great but is toxic. I have searched for a comparable alternative and have come across Calcium Sulfonate-synthetic oil grease such as Lubriplate Synxtreme HD or Synxtreme FG (food grade). This type of grease appears to have all the ideal characteristics of a grease for guns.

MY question is: Are these types of grease compatible with polymer frames, Aluminum, blueing, parkerized, etc ?

Also, any negatives to this type of grease besides cost/availablility?

If you want a low tox biodegradable gun lube look into Ballistol. Its not grease but it works very very well. And to be honest grease is not the ideal gun lube for many guns. Only certain semi autos have had grease as a recommended lube such as M1 Garands or early stainless guns that suffered from galling.

I have used the Tetra Gun Grease on a Glock 19, CZ P-01 and Ruger LCP with great results, I am sold on grease for these applications. It is Tricrysl Phosphate based, this is a fantastic high pressure industrial lublicant but when absorbed through the skin causes nerve numbness. I only use it on the slide rails and outside of barrel. I wear nitril gloves when cleaning and lubricating my guns. No Tetra on the outside of guns. It appears to be #1 consistency grease.

The Calcium Sulfonate based grease I have read about is non-toxic and based on the published characteristics would be an ideal gun grease for slides. I have not been able to find compatability information to be sure it would not harm gun materials such as alumium, nylon(polymer frames) blueing, etc.

I appreciate your suggestion on Ballistol, I will look at its characteristic/composition.

Ballistol is good since you can use it on leather, plastic, and a bunch of stuff as well. I used it to weatherproof my paratrooper boots. One guy uses it to shave since its not toxic. I had to laugh at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back