Recommendations for 2006 Mini Cooper S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S. Manual says to use BMW oil - is there a better choice that is readily available? I commute 100 miles a day, all highway and have a heavy foot. I plan to change the oil every 6k miles, regardless of what the computer says. Thanks for the help.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Same car, decided to go with Pennzoil Platinum because it is a great oil overall.
Re-read the manual. It states you should use Mini oil which is a rebranded BMW oil which IIRC is a rebranded German Castrol synthetic oil, but only if you want to adhere by the ridiculous 15K miles change interval. It's been shown that even the Mini/BMW/Castrol OEM engine can't go that long. You can also use a handful of other oils they "approve" of on their site.

Basically treat it like any other car. Use whatever good synthetic oil you feel comfortable with and change it at a reasonable interval.

Last edited:
Roger that - thanks...I got scared when I read the Clymer manual (to figure out where the dang oil filter was) and they were unusually adamant about only using conventional oil for top off. Must be the high mileage thing.

The BMW Castrol isn't made in Germany. It's blended in the US. I would use any ACEA A3 oil with a HT/HS higher then 3.5

Can a manufacturer require you to use their specific oil/filter? I was under the impression there was a law that was passed that barred these actions? And if a dealer "required" a special oil and/or filter, you;d have to be given it free of charge?\

Now I know some of the high-end luxury models recommend brands throughout their owner's manuals, but surely not a "requirement" (i.e.; if you don't use this product, you void your warranty).?

Or are you just asking for opinion on a good oil for the vehicle?

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Can a manufacturer require you to use their specific oil/filter?

I don't think BMW requires one to use BMW oil in the Mini. It's a recommendation. You can use any of the approved oils listed on their site to preserve warranty.

DonStriker,

Why don't you get a good synthetic oil like PP or M1 and do your OCI's at 7500K instead. That's half of the recommended oil change interval. I'm sure any good synthetic can go the distance for you.

I know BMW doesn't like it but unless it's under warranty the mechanic can't tell if you did an early OCI or not assumingyou can handle it yourself.

Durango

The filter is a pain in the neck the first time.
Here is a tip for avoiding spilling oil all over. Untwist the cap until you hear it break vacuum and stop. Let it drain for a good 5-10 minutes. If you unscrew it and take it out without letting it drain, all the oil left in the filter will spill on the block and will make a mess.
The S takes 5 quarts of oil. That's a respectable amount for just a 1.6 litre. I plan on doing a few 5K OCIs and then run a UOA.

Last edited:
Given the long commute, small engine, large sump capacity in relation to engine size, and the mandate for quality synthetic oil, 15K miles is not unreasonable. Highway is easy easy easy on oil.

If there is an OLM, follow it.

fishbone,

With a small engine that takes such a large amount of oil no wonder why BMW beleives in 15K services.

If it were my car I could go with changing it every 7500 miles if BMW allowed it. I know oil is expensive these days and making every drop count is important but comparing it to excessive engine wear and any possible oil sludging I can't say.

Durango

IIRC when I was trying to decide myself what oil to go with and OCI, it was this very forum that I found a couple UOAs on OEM oil, done at around 8K miles IIRC and it showed the oil was good for a change.

fishbone -- u say u got same car?

guess what -- car totaled in a flood right after my posts.

got some parts u may want (console/armrest, aux hookup, filters, filter wrench, clymer manual, etc.).

shoot me an address at my real email ([email protected]) with your address and you'll be the bonus winner for your help.

at least i didn't change the oil!

My wife bought a Mini in the early 2005 model year. It has seen nothing but Mobil One full synthetic with change intervals between 7,500 and 10,000 miles. The car now has 151,000 miles and runs great with no need to add oil between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back