Dodge transfer case - ATF+4 or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More stable than an ATF. ATf is jsut a compromise which allows them fill them on the line with 1 station. I believe the older Jeep T-case used to allow motor oil to be used.

My FWD NV A520 A555 transaxles etc were factory filled in 86-88 with ATF, Chrysler only used the ATF because it would allow better shifting but sheared faster. They switched to the 5w-30 motor oil from89 and up to protect the gear set and differential better. this is from the head chrysler reliability engineer I know.

Per the T-case, I like the MTF better than the ATF. As I said the guy at TCU on the Jeep boards who has rebuilt 100's of the SElect and command Trac T-cases says the best thing you can do is run the synthetci motor oil in them versus the ATF.

The MTF has the same viscosity as a 5w-30 oil but is even more sheer stable with better additives, hence my choice.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Originally Posted By: VNTS
I use Amsoil MTF in my NV242 cases.

On the Jeep boards there is a guy rebuilds most of the Jeep Transfer (Transfer Cases Unlimited)cases and recommends synthetic 5w-30 oil for his warranty since the oil will not shear like the ATF. I have used the MTF for a couple years, prior to that I used the Amsoil ATF. I drain em every couple years since it is so easy.

Motor oils are typically not as shear stable as a gear oil/fluid. I assume your talking about 5w30-weight MTF?

Using the MTF is similar to the use of SynchroMax...they are both manual transmission fluids.

Last edited:
So in reading this, I've come to wonder if switching to a manual transmission fluid will cause any issues in my G56 transmission/Dodge Cummins. IE, an MTF type fluid like Amsoil or Pennzoil Synchromesh.
I've found ATF to be fine in the TCase, but it seems like Dodge/Mercedes (the transmission) just chose ATF+4 due to ease of stocking/logistics...

as we discussed in PM, its one of those "try it and see what happens" things...the only thing I could imagine it affecting would be shift quality (different fluid on the synchronizers).

Use what the manual states. Newer t-cases are a bit more complicated than the old cast iron gear driven beasts of years past that would work fine with just about any type of lube in them. If it calls for ATF+4, run it or an ATF+4 compatible ATF.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Use what the manual states. Newer t-cases are a bit more complicated than the old cast iron gear driven beasts of years past that would work fine with just about any type of lube in them. If it calls for ATF+4, run it or an ATF+4 compatible ATF.

Actually, a Jeep NV231 is less complicated than then the old Dana300 gear drive t-case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back