OIL BLENDING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using the Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil, in my Ducati Hypermotard 1100S but it seems most Ducati riders prefer the 20w50, I see there is a trend for "lighter" cold flowing oils like the 15w50 & 10w50, in some other brands, I would like to have a better cold start up oil like a 10w and max protection of a 50w, but Amsoil does not make it, so I made it myself, I mixed a qt of 10w40 & 20w50 together and was hopeing to get a 15w45 oil for a compromise, is there anything wrong with what I did? if so why? TIA Alex

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itsalex
I was using the Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil, in my Ducati Hypermotard 1100S but it seems most Ducati riders prefer the 20w50, I see there is a trend for "lighter" cold flowing oils like the 15w50 & 10w50, in some other brands, I would like to have a better cold start up oil like a 10w and max protection of a 50w, but Amsoil does not make it, so I made it myself, I mixed a qt of 10w40 & 20w50 together and was hopeing to get a 15w45 oil for a compromise, is there anything wrong with what I did? if so why? TIA Alex

That'll work but Amsoil makes a 15W-50:

RD50 Link

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That'll work but Amsoil makes a 15W-50:

RD50 Link

Amsoil makes a 15w50 motorcycle oil?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
In LA 20w-xx has all the cold start you are going to need.

I sometimes ride high in the mountains, at times there is snow on the ground, still think 20w50 is thin enough?

It's not specifically a MC oil. It's a racing oil, see the link. I'm not a Ducati expert. Does yours have a wet clutch?

No, not mine, but there are many models that do have wet clutches.

If you don't have a wet clutch, then it will work great in your engine. Great protection.

I thought that the reason motorcycle oils were superior was their ability to hold up better than the auto oils because of the "trashing" the oils take due to the transmission gears, which auto oils do not have to deal with. thanks Alex

If you don't have a wet clutch, then it will work great in your engine. Great protection.

I thought that the reason motorcycle oils were superior was their ability to hold up better than the auto oils because of the "trashing" the oils take due to the transmission gears, which auto oils do not have to deal with. thanks Alex

I suppose that is somewhat true when using a conventional, shear with use, energy conserving 5W-30 or lower vis motor oil. Doesn't apply to a racing oil.

I sometimes ride high in the mountains, at times there is snow on the ground, still think 20w50 is thin enough?

Well, are you going to be shutting it off while your in the mountains and letting it sit overnight?

Originally Posted By: JT1

Well, are you going to be shutting it off while your in the mountains and letting it sit overnight?

No, but I have been there for extended lunch meetings, where the motor got cold enough to be "sluggish" upon starting.
I also read that the faster you can get a oil to "circulate" thru the motor, on start-up, the less wear you will have, and that this would require a lightweight oil, such as a 10w or even better yet a 5w oil.

I suppose that is somewhat true when using a conventional, shear with use, energy conserving 5W-30 or lower vis motor oil. Doesn't apply to a racing oil.

I have many motorcycles that use different weight oils, and I have a couple of cases each of the Amsoil 10w40 & 20w50 motorcycle oil in my garage, so I don't want to buy any more.

I guess my main question was if I wanted to get "closer" to a 10w50 Amsoil motorcycle oil was it ok to blend them together? and will it become a 15w45 oil? is there a downside to this? It would be nice to know as I already have both oils.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Check the pour point of you favorite 20W-50 oil.
Mobil-1 15W-50 has a pour point well below 0°.

There is a big difference between "pour point" and good oil flow at low temperatures. Oil doesn't flow very well at the pour point. It will pour, but barely. If you want oil to flow well at OF, it better have a pour point down around -40F or even lower.

Last edited:

I have many motorcycles that use different weight oils, and I have a couple of cases each of the Amsoil 10w40 & 20w50 motorcycle oil in my garage, so I don't want to buy any more.

I guess my main question was if I wanted to get "closer" to a 10w50 Amsoil motorcycle oil was it ok to blend them together? and will it become a 15w45 oil? is there a downside to this? It would be nice to know as I already have both oils.

It's OK to mix them. The viscosity will be something in between the two. The only downside might be on a super extended OCI, but that doesn't sound like your intention.

According to the factory Ducati manual, they say to use a 10w40 for cold temps that start at 14.00F and use a 20w50 for 32.00F and since the early morning temps sometimes do get colder then the 32.00F (even in SoCal)I think I need a 10wXX for the cold start ups, but want the protection of the XXw50 for the summer heat & track-days. That is why I was thinking to mix the Amsoil motorcycle 10w40 with the 20w50 to get something like a 15w45, something closer to a 10w50. Does this sound good? thanks Alex

Last edited:
Would it be a good idea to send out a batch of virgin blended Amsoil 10w40 & 20w50 (motorcycle oil) to a lab like Blackstone to see what I really end up with? or is this overkill? thanks Alex

Would it be a good idea to send out a batch of virgin blended Amsoil 10w40 & 20w50 (motorcycle oil) to a lab like Blackstone to see what I really end up with? or is this overkill? thanks Alex

It would be interesting if you did that. Not necessary ($25). Blackstone is not the best lab for virgin oil, but really you are only looking at the viscosity. A simple VOA won't tell you much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back