Can you still buy a car without Power Steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last car I saw that did not have power steering as standard equipment was a 1990 Mazda Miata.

Are there any left that can be had without power steering?

No. Power steering is standard on the base model of every single car on the market. In the US, and Canada anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to get a Miata without power steering. Feel every bump right up the steering colunm; just like driving a go-cart when you where a kid...

Originally Posted By: evandostert
The lotus is not that far off in pricing from an everyday SUV commonly seen on vegas streets.

Yes but very few people would buy one due to lack of.. Well, a lot of things.

I gave up on that fight in 1981. With the smaller cars being front wheel drive with torque steer, wimps, and the proliferation of gadgets, I would be surprised if rudolphna is wrong.

Good luck finding anything w/o PS.

My first truck had no power steering (no power anything for that matter). After 11 years of driving it, my forearms looked like Popeyes. I could flat steer it without rolling with one hand.

After having power steering on my last 2 vehicles, I don't think I'd ever want to go back to not having it. Maybe if I did alot of HW driving, I'd consider it though.

Saturn SLs often did not have it and sold until 2002. (But sometimes got it as a zero-cost option when they ran out of manual racks on the factory floor.) Regardless, any from the series can be swapped to manual.

I had a 99 hyundai accent with manual steering and AC. Nice combo, not a stripper car.

The $9,990 Nissan Versa 1.6 base model has power steering.

The base model Kia Rio does NOT have power steering.

Power steering is standard on all Chevy Aveos.

I had a 1991 Civic CX hatchback. Base stripped model. No passenger side mirror, no clock, no power windows or power doors, no AC. It had a plastic vinyl interior and no power steering. It had a 70hp 1.5L and weighed 2262 lbs. Still, it was fun.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I had a 1991 Civic CX hatchback. Base stripped model. No passenger side mirror, no clock, no power windows or power doors, no AC. It had a plastic vinyl interior and no power steering. It had a 70hp 1.5L and weighed 2262 lbs. Still, it was fun.

My first car was a 1988 Toyota Tercel hatchback pretty similar to that. Not a great handling car necessarily but I do miss the combination of lightweight, tight suspension, and manual steering.

IIRC you could get base Hyundai Accents or Kia Rios (maybe both? not sure) without power steering until just a couple or three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back