08 Lexus IS250 RWD Differential OEM Fluid (??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the report from my 08 Lexus IS250 RWD Differential. I think the factory fill is a 75w-85 but not sure. Car has 18,000 miles.
At this replacement i filled it with AMS oil 75W-90 Gear Lube GL-5. Haven't noticed any difference aside for knowing all the metal is out of there. I will do another UOA in roughly 20K and see how it is again.

click for report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kraz
Here are the report from my 08 Lexus IS250 RWD Differential. I think the factory fill is a 75w-85 but not sure. Car has 18,000 miles.
At this replacement i filled it with AMS oil 75W-90 Gear Lube GL-5. Haven't noticed any difference aside for knowing all the metal is out of there. I will do another UOA in roughly 20K and see how it is again.

Diff%20Oil%20no%20info.JPG

Like I said in the other post applies here;

Just run it to 150,000 miles and change it.

No need for a UOA. Save the $$.

At this replacement i filled it with AMS oil 75W-90 Gear Lube GL-5.......

What change interval does Lexus specify for the rear differential oil?

Lexus recommends 40,000 miles (64,000km). I decided to change the diff early since i figure it can't hurt to get rid of any break-in wear and i was doing the tranny oil anyway. I wonder why the diff has so much iron.

I tend to dump the 75w85 for 75w90 in the Toyota rear-ends that I service. Have been a little surprised by magnet buildup with the thinner gear oil. Iron wear is there.

Run the Amsoil to 30k-50k. UOA it then and then decide on your next interval.

Lexus recommends 40,000 miles (64,000km). I decided to change the diff early since i figure it can't hurt to get rid of any break-in wear and i was doing the tranny oil anyway. I wonder why the diff has so much iron.

Nothing unusual about that amount of iron. It is from "running in" of the ring and pinion gear set.

The buildup was alot on the magnetic drain plug it was actually covering the whole magnet in a thick nasty paste. (at work and i don't usually see that much metal on drain plugs even on trucks with 100K km.)

Now atleast i know all thats out of there and we'll see how it is next time.

Any idea why Lexus recommends 40K change interval on the differential when on some Toyo models (including my 06 highlander) it is uncalled for? Something looks suspicious why it is recommeded for change in a Lexus and not on a Toyota!!!

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Any idea why Lexus recommends 40K change interval on the differential when on some Toyo models (including my 06 highlander) it is uncalled for? Something looks suspicious why it is recommeded for change in a Lexus and not on a Toyota!!!

Probably because this vehicle is a RWD vs your highlander which is an AWD with primary being FWD.

I change my RDX's transmission and rear diff fluid every 25k (km's) regardless of what Honda/Acura says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back