Kia Forte Koup SX and Mobil 1 ow-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil cap for my car says 0W-20 is the recommended oil, but it ALSO shows a chart in the owner's manual with 5W-30 and 10W-30 oil depending on the climate. I have been using 0W-30 for the faster flow from cold.

Am I correct in assuming that 0W-30 flows as well as any other 0 weight, but it protects like a 30 weight at operating temp?

If so, then would the 0w-30 be a better choice than the 0w-20? I know it will affect the fuel mileage by a miniscule amount, but I'm more concerned about wear protection than fuel mileage.

Also, I have never been able to find the Euro-formula GC anywhere.

I'm so persnickety about things like car maintenance, and there are so many choices to be made when it comes to something as "simple" as choosing oil.

Any recommendations for this engine would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Use what's on the cap. It's just fine, and your engine is likely designed for a 20-weight. It's a fairly new design, IIRC.

It's not too cold down your way. I'd use a 20-weight for warranty considerations, and not worry about the wear. The rest of the car will wear out before that Hyundai mill gives up the ghost.

thanks for the reply.

I never would have considered a KIA until I test drove this one...seems light years ahead of anything else they make.

Anyhoo...it has a 10 year, 100,000 powertrain warranty, but I also have somewhat of a lead-foot and was concerned about exessive wear from using the 20w.

What's confusing to me is that the oil cap says one weight, and the manual gives three alternative weights.

I just figured 0w-30 offered a little more protection than 0w-20 but flowed the same.

Last edited:
I vote for the 0W20 or 5W20.

We live just a few miles north of the Florida line and see some hot summers and have run 5W20 oil in our last 3 and soon to be 4 vehicles. Would use 0W20 but you just can't find it here.

Have good results with running it here and nothing has blown up yet!

thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

I'm not concerned with the 0 or 5w-20 destroying anything...what I'm asking is if the 0w-30 offers more protection at hotter ambient temps.

I'm not arguing about why 30 weight is better, just wondering how big of a difference there is in 5w20 and 0w30

I use 30 weight oil year 'round in our cars because that's what they call for. I used to think the 30 weight gave me some extra protection in the hot part of the summer, but there is an abundance of evidence showing that 20 weight oils protect just as well. As several members have pointed out, many times 30 weight oils thin down to a 20 weight anyway.

Will 30 weight give you "more protection"? I doubt it.

BTW, the GC you mentioned is one of the thicker 30 weights out there. In fact, some people think of it as a thin 40 weight.

Maybe you could compromise and use one of the thinner 30 weights, I think Edge is one of them.

CrashVector,

I too suggest you use what the oil cap says unless your climate is so different them perhaps you can go to using the 0W-30 which is fine to use also if so inclined. The difference between the two is slight and if there's a difference in economy you might not even notice it off your gas gauge.

Your lucky you have a car that gives you such a choice. My 01' Durango is specific and other from this forum tell me not to stray from the 5W-30 weight.

Good luck to ya. You have a fine car.

Durango

thanks...so far the car is great.

i went out and bought some Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20.

thanks for the advice/words of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back