Which Amsoil for 2001 and 2006 VW TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My search here was unproductive due to the number of "Volkswagen" and "Amsoil" hits you get.
56.gif

Amsoil recommends their AFL 5W40 European Car Formula for both applications, and I'm waiting to hear back from their tech line why they don't list HDD, DEO, or any other alternatives.

Does anyone know why HDD 5W30 Diesel or DEO are not recommended? Is it merely an emissions issue or is there a reason that these motors should not run anything that doesn't meet VW specific standards?

I found this page from North American TDI owners which suggests that any API CG or higher oil should be fine.

http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-4.html

Is there any other Amsoil product you've used with good success?

AFL is recommended because it meets the VW specs of 505.00 (for the 2001) and 505.01 (for the 2006). [two totally different engines]

Per the manual (below, from my 2003, same engine as the 2001), you could use HDD or DEO in the 2001, but not the 2006 [VW claims VW 505.01 oil only]. In reality, you could use DEO in the 2006 also, and maybe HDD.

S6300306.jpg

AMO (10w40, CI-4+) might work too.

Last edited:
For Amsoil's warranty coverage you need to follow their recommendation. Will you need to use the Amsoil warranty? No. The Amsoil recommended OCI with AFL is "Normal & Severe: Extend intervals based on oil analysis or use thelongest drain recommendation of the OEM".

I will tell you straight up DEO is the best Amsoil choice in both engines.

Will I pay for your UOA if you use DEO purchased from me? YES!

DEO: DEO LINK

And the interval, except in extreme cases, which most people really don't have (we've been hoodwinked into thinking we all have severe driving) is 10K miles, oil and filter. You could go longer with UOA. (OEM filter is good for 20K to 30K miles)

Thank you for the suggestions folks!

Does anyone know that the specification differences are for 505.01 versus a CI4+? My guess is lower Zinc / Phosphorous like SM compared to SL, but I don't want to guess on this.

Originally Posted By: ScoobySTeveD
Thank you for the suggestions folks!

Does anyone know that the specification differences are for 505.01 versus a CI4+? My guess is lower Zinc / Phosphorous like SM compared to SL, but I don't want to guess on this.

We don't actually know what the specs are for VW 505.01, but it is based on ACEA specs of some kind. VW adds their own requirements in though. We can infer from VOA and UOA too.

Some of the major differences: Additive levels (505.01 being mid-SAPS), HTHS, hot and cold visco.

In a 2006 TDI (with PD-type TDI) I would not hesitate to use a synthetic CI-4+ or CJ-4 oil, even though they don't meet VW 505.01.

So really, if you wanted an Amsoil oil you could use in both: DEO 5w40 CJ-4
AFL 5w40 505.01
HDD 5w30 CI-4+
AMO 10w40 CI-4+
DME 15w40 CJ-4
AME 15w40 CI-4+

The PD TDI's (2006 included) are prone to excessive cam wear at relatively low mileages (60k). 505.01 should have been designed with these cam loads in mind, but some have had issues regardless of their oil choice. There are multiple threads over at tdiclub discussing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back