Wal-Mart Oil Filter Looks Same As The Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Grease Oil Filter Study is not available on line anymore, I saved it. It was quite clear from that study that the most restrictive filters were Fram, Purolator PureOne, and Mobil 1 (in this order). The best filters with good flow and good filtration were Hastings, Purolator PremiumPlus, or K&N. OEM filter had very good flow but poor filtration.

BTW, Vix was just average and well below Supertech in both filtration and especially flow.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: labman
With their new ownership, I think Purolator needs to earn a new reputation. Did you find a cross reference? Does the Mercury need a filter with a bypass?

Not sure but at WOT I would think so running 25w40 oil. I never hammer the throttle until I see 165F on the temp guages but some guys sure do so a bypass must be in there. That would be my issue with a non-factory filter.

There are NO bypass valves in oil filters. There are relieve valves in oil filters. Bypass valve is after the oil pump.
BTW, Merc specifies non-relieve valve filters.

That's why you wait awhile to drain the oil if you have one of those upside down oil filters that Mercruiser has been putting on the engines.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
With their new ownership, I think Purolator needs to earn a new reputation. Did you find a cross reference? Does the Mercury need a filter with a bypass?

Not sure but at WOT I would think so running 25w40 oil. I never hammer the throttle until I see 165F on the temp guages but some guys sure do so a bypass must be in there. That would be my issue with a non-factory filter.

There are NO bypass valves in oil filters. There are relieve valves in oil filters. Bypass valve is after the oil pump.

That is what I meant.

Perhaps you need to straighten out WIX:

zoom

Part Number: 51516
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (81-09), Chrysler/Jeep/Mitsubishi (02-09), Mazda Trucks (94-07)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Filters,or the engine, have a spring loaded valve that allows the oil to bypass the filter media to maintain flow and avoid a higher psid than the filter can take.

Perhaps you need to straighten out WIX:

zoom

Part Number: 51516
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury (81-09), Chrysler/Jeep/Mitsubishi (02-09), Mazda Trucks (94-07)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Filters,or the engine, have a spring loaded valve that allows the oil to bypass the filter media to maintain flow and avoid a higher psid than the filter can take.

The filter above is not a replacement for Merc filter for 4cyl 3.0L. WIX 51060, WIX 51061 and WIX 51069 are. None of these have the relieve (VIX calls it bypass) valve. The bypass valve after the pump will limit the max pressure before the filter, but there is no relieve valve in the filter to provide for oil flow when filter is plugged. This it why it is very important to use low restriction filters in Merc engines.

Quote:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51069

Quote:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51061

Quote:
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51060

Used a supertech on my old snapper lawnmower. About 3 years later I pulled the filter an cut it apart. It had held up to three years of use.

If good filters clean so well that they restrict flow then just get a taller filter. Most boats have plenty of room.

Here is my theory: My boat engines cost $14,000 each to replace. The 275 gallons of gas in the tank costs $768.00 to fill up. My insurance, dockage, storage and all the other related stuff costs $500 a month.

So, where is saving $5 on an oil filter I am not 100% sure is spec'ed for my engine getting me?

No kidding, false economies. I pay the $15 for my Yamaha filter each spring and i'm done with it.

Marine oil and water seperating fuel filters are painted with an epoxy type paint for corrosion purposes.This is what I was told by A MerCruiser instructor last time I was at school.But then again,Merc likes to talk up the products they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back