Valve Cover Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
After running 3 OCI's of synthetics (2 runs of PP, and now RP) in my 01 Toyota Camry 1MZ-FE after many many years of dino, I noticed a small valve cover leak and a small oil pan leak(?) possibly.

Is there any way to fix these without replacing the gaskets? maybe MaxLife or something similar? Can anyone suggest a solution

Last edited:
You could try max life, the synthetic probably cleaned some gunk out that was hiding a leak. I wouldnt say the synthetic actually caused it. But if the leak is small enough just ignore and fill when needed.

dgee,

There's nothing worse than a gasket leak from the valve cover or the oil pan. I know your on a budget but since your synthetic of choice did such a good cleaning job I'd pay the bucks and have the gaskets changed. Just make sure your mechanic uses a good amount of gasket seal.

When I had my 89' Camry I took my car to the dealership and when they replaced the gaskets I think they never used gasket seal. The OEM versions are only made out of cork material so oil will rot them out fairly quickly.

Good luck,

Durango

sounds like you shouldve left the crud alone... buy a jug of supertech and add when you need too...or as my buddy says, "when it starts knocking"

Gaskets leak after many years!!!

First, try snugging them down. Try using just a spintite - nutdriver and a firm twist is enough. Do not crank em down with your ratchet , the covers bend and distort, causing worse leaks if overtightened. Looking up the torque spec would be advisable... but a very firm twist of the wrist is usually just right.

This will fix your leaks about half the time. Totally fixed, it will not drip at all!

Yeah, the other half of the time you need to put in new gaskets, still a small job and inexpensive.

I have never had to replace a pan gasket (just for oil leaks) but have had a couple get so loose that the pan bolts could be turned with your fingers!!

On a vacation about 30 years ago our car suddenly began taking a qt of oil every tank of gas. Wow, thought we were in trouble but a couple of days later I saw a big puddle at our campsite.... the pan bolts had become so loose the pan could be rattled up and down!!! A few minutes under the car and it returned to no drips and no oil consumption at all!

Good luck!

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets in my '03 Sienna which has the 1MZFE motor.
The rear valve cover is a pain....front is easy.
I used Felpro gaskets.....that are rubber....and sit in a grove in the valve cover and seal against the flat alluminum surface on the head.
The instructions say to use NO additional sealants with these gaskets......will actually cause them to not seal correctly and they will leak.

I did notice that TOYOTA did use a small amount of sealant on the hump by the timing belt and at the corners.
You will need to remove that.
I chose to follow the instructions and not use any sealant at all with the new gaskets.

I found that soaking a cloth rag with Berryman's B-12 Chemtool and wiping the seating surface cleaned it up very nicely.
Paper towel will shred.....which is why cloth is better.

I cleaned the inside of the valve cover using Simple Green......soaking it....scrubbing with a brush...and rinsing with HOT water cleaned them up nicely.

Make SURE to verify that you have flow through the breather intake (front cover) and the PCV valve location (rear cover).
If you cannot clean them up (rear in particular) to get good flow.....you will need to replace the valve cover.
The baffles are not removable....and if crud accumulates up there to the point of blocking PCV flow.....you will have sludge (or gelling) in short order.

Just another note......if one were to add a bit of sealant to the corners, make SURE that it is "SENSOR SAFE" as other sealants can give off vapors that can harm oxygen sensors.

If they really are small leaks, i'd say try using some MaxLife. It puts up good UOAs and it might resolve the issue for a little while. It wont solve the problem, that requires a new gasket, but if it stops the leak then you've got a temporary solution and you're still using a quality oil that seems to be a great value for the price.

If you are doing the work yourself (and do it correctly) then the job is super cheap.......the gaskets are not expensive at all, however, if paying to have the job done for you......labor is the expensive part of the job, particularly for the rear.......it was a LOT of work to do the rear valve cover gasket as the upper intake manifold needed to be removed.

I took the opportunity to replace my spark plugs at the same time.

The first in a series of pictures showing the front valve cover gasket job on my '03 Sienna is here.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2609915850011220610XGbmsa

It might be similar enough to be of help on your '96 Camery.
I have a series of pictures showing the rear valve cover job on the same vehicle....but there is a good chance that there are a lot of differences between our vehicles that it will not be of more help than what you can get from the front set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back