Brake grease and anti-squeal different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ordered an entire set of brakes for my 01 integra.
the rotors are original while only the front pads were swapped with used ones from my friends integra.

I put anti squeal grease on the shims when i changed the pads, now is this the same grease i use for the caliper pins?

What grease do you guys recommend when i swap new rotors and pads?

I recommend NAPA sil-glyde. IMO it is the best stuff out there. I use in on the shims, pistons, brakets, slide pins, basically any part of the brake system it is safe to use it on. No need to waste money on anti-squeal.

calvinnnnnnn,

Lets see if we can staighten out the confusion. Like all things, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different ways to do stuff.

I can think of three different types of brakes "dressings":
Brake Grease-synthetic or silicone:...Permatex,CRC,Stalub,Sil-glyde, Dow Silicone, Motorcraft Silicone, etc,
Anti-squeal Paste: CRC Antisqueal, etc.. .
Boundary Lube Paste: Molykote77, GWR Pastelub, antiseize

There are 2 general brake lube areas: exposed metal to metal (pad to caliper) and enclosed metal to metal/rubber (caliper pin with bushings).

There are several schools of thought about application of the above products.

Most agree, and the packaging states that the "brake greases" can be used on both areas, exposed and enclosed.

The antisqueal paste is glue-like and the "books" recommend it's use only on the back of shimless pads, with the reason that it will tear off the shims when they try to move/shift or defeat the noise suppression effect of the shims. People disagree about not using it on shimmed pads.

The boundary lube pastes are thick grease with "marbles" of graphite, teflon, or moly that stay put in water spray and lube metal to metal. They are hard to find on the store shelves. They are not used for enclosed pins, being too thick.

One school is to use only the brake grease. Another is to use the grease for enclosed pins and the boundary paste for exposed metal to metal.

Pick you method of choice. I'll let you google the above products to educate yourself.

Grease can be used for antisqueal, but the antisqueal paste cannot be used for lubrication....kind of.

Look up the Larry Carly library and search for brake grease info.

i ended up buying this, it may be overkill. the green stuff was only 50 cents cheaper so i went with this instead.
2800F max temp! when i read it was design to last the life of the pad i was sold(MARKETING AT ITS FINEST!!) i use my brakes very conservatively so i thought i would benefit from this. i got 30k out of my brake pads when a mechanic said i would need new pads in 3k miles.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...s_Lubricant.htm

any thoughts?

Last edited:
WARNING! Labman and Sil-Glyde

A couple of years ago I went to buy the caulking compound like stuff I had used for years. The reliable font of knowledge at the Oreily's counter pulled a little packet of Sil-Glyde off the rack. I skipped it since I have a big tube and as I mention in all these threads, I use it on ALL the brake parts except the front of the pads. I did both my truck and car putting it on the back of the pads. No squeals in 2 years.

Whenever labman puts on his robe to get on the pulpet to preach Sil-glyde, I like to bring up the notion that this product is unique and might not be what everyone thinks it is.....high silcone content product.

Sil-glyde is an old school product that is still worshipped in many circles. Look at the msds and it seems to contain a tiny % of silicone. Unlike other silicones, it turns yellow with exposure to air,light, time. The company told me thats due to the castor oil in it.

Don't get me wrong,I used Sil-glyde successfully for many years until I learned of "newer,better products" at BITOG. I might return to silglyde.

Calvinnnnnn, I tried the "original" purple ceramic brake lube by Bendix and it dried out in my enclosed, rubber bushed caliper pins. Someone else here loves it (Tempest or Quest??) and I think Mori used it with success. http://www.bendixbrakes.com/products/flash/otherPremium/otherPremium0.swf

I'm using the Permatex green synthetic currently and watching the results.

Again......ask ten people, get ten different answers. Tell us how your stuff works out in the future.

ahah i skipped on sta lube and sil glyde based on how the package looked!

installed the brakes successfully! 1 .25oz package of the permatex purple
stuff was more than enough. I think its going to be a great grease!
states 100% synthetic has a temperature range of -40 to 2800f!

hrmm....my caliper pins DO NOT require any lubing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back