Real World Oil Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lost faith in all the advertising, gossip, published tests, posted oil analysis and so on.

I am now working with Sunrah to test some select oils using his real world torture testing method to see if the manufactures claims are true and if there is true value in premium syn oils compared to dino oil.

While this may not be scientific I have to say I do trust Sunrah's test procedure more than I do advertising, gossip, published tests and so on.

Sunrah has Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil in route, next will be the new Rotella Syn, next the new Rotella dino and after that Maxima Ultra4 5W-50.

I am sure Sunrah will post his real world non bias finding.

Some may think it is silly to spend money on this but for me the findings will make worth it worth it to me.

How is this different from a UOA that we get. IMO thats pretty good testing. I don't feel anything further is truely needed or need an opinion from somebody to sway me to another product.

Oh man, someone else who understands that all this syn hype has or may have gone to far. Thank you. Look forward to seeing the test.

my testing takes a while to complete.

why?

because i drain the old.
put in the new.
run it for a few hours.
drain that.

THEN the real test beings.

why?

because then the "mix" of old and new is almost all new.
i let the bike drain for 2-3 days before i put in the oil that will be tested.

and a dirt bike takes a lot of time (wall clock) to actually put time on the motor. i cant just hop on and run to dallas and back and throw it in the bottle to the stoners.

i have a very methodical procedure i use. the same one i've been using for .... [censored] i just realized .... 9 years!

p.s. my last name doest have an "a" in it. just "u"s

actually its 1.6L

and i *am* the universal average at bstoned on my motor.

no. i was the 1st and clearly have done the most.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I have lost faith in all the advertising, gossip, published tests, posted oil analysis and so on.

I am now working with Sunrah to test some select oils using his real world torture testing method to see if the manufactures claims are true and if there is true value in premium syn oils compared to dino oil.

While this may not be scientific I have to say I do trust Sunrah's test procedure more than I do advertising, gossip, published tests and so on.

Sunrah has Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil in route, next will be the new Rotella Syn, next the new Rotella dino and after that Maxima Ultra4 5W-50.

I am sure Sunrah will post his real world non bias finding.

Some may think it is silly to spend money on this but for me the findings will make worth it worth it to me.

Maxima's my horse.... bet it comes out on top. Takers?

of the maxima oils i have tested. they are V E R Y good!

they are also VERY expensive!

however, if i was gonna run a baja race or simular. that IS what i would run. unless i can find something better. which so far i have not.

the question is zedhed, which maxima oil are *you* using since there are many flavors?

Need any takers for the oil testing? Send me some oil and I'll sample it (ha).

Seriously I have a 4600km sample of Motul 300V I need to send off for a UOA.

Anyone know of a good lab/s in Australia?

sunruh,

My flavor of Maxima is Extra 15w-50, that's what I use in my WR250 after reading your UOAs from your WR.

Last edited:
How do their 40w oils stack up?

I got a VOA from Noria and this stuff is over the top for some additives. Anyone know how the Moly and Boron measure?

Antinomy - over 1000 ppm
Sodium 225
Magnesium 650
Calcium 730
Barium 11
Phosforus 3400
Zinc 2560
VI @ 100c 12.5

HT/HS is in the high 4's

This exact formula is offered in a 17.5 cSt 15w-50 and the HT/HS was drum roll ...... 5.5

end quote

the maxima extra 10w40 :

moly 2
boron 1
calcium 785
magnesium 814
zinc 2215

flash was 420
sus vis of 66.8 after 1.6 hrs

so, it was down to 30wt after 1.6 hrs. and yet this is the BEST 10w40 i've tested!!!

at 1/5th the cost i'll stick with my 15w40 hdeos, thanks.

Thanks for that Sunruh.

Why is that 40w multigrades don't seem to perform with your testing?

So even though your mixmaster beats up oils severely you still stick to HDEOs?

Making me think that seaching for anything over the Delo 400 CI4+ I am currently using is a futile exercise. Other than for the racetrack maybe!

hdeo's stay in grade!!!
in my testing delo 400 was not as good as other hdeo's but DID stay in grade. a decent oil!

and a few select others. (ie GC, sae30's, sae40's, sae50's and some 20w50s)

only if i have a VOA.
which is a valid question. but does it really matter?
probably not. if it starts out in the 40 range and ends in the 40 range i know what the range is.
now if a 10w40 starts out in the 40 range and ends almost at a 20. well, everyone knows just how bad it really was.
there is no reason to figure out the % except for if you start as a very very low 40 and end up a high 30 (as an example).

take castrol gtx 20w50. its a 50wt. says so on the bottle. when i was finished with it the susvis was 70.6! now the 30wt range starts at 68.2863. do i really give a darn about the % drop if it drops nearly 2 grades? he77 no!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back