Mobil MX4T or Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to pick one for my bike, it's an 08 ZX14. Both oils are around the same price here in Newfoundland and will get changed at around 3000kms use or sooner. Which is the better oil for my bike? It tends to run hot being a big bore and gets worked rather hard during runs. The grade will be 10W40, I'd like to run Motul 300V but it's $23 a liter here as compared to $10 for the Mobil or the Amsoil. Which would you go with?

I think Mobil and Amsoil make two of the best MC oils on the market. Redline is up there as well. Mobil 1 MC oils are outstanding and can be purchased anywhere.

Guess it'll be the Mobil 1 since it's available at the local Walmart. These bikes have huge transmissions and are known for being hard on their oil. Any other brand that may protect the engine better?

The most noticable thing i see with Amsoil was Smoother shifting? has anyone gone from amsoil to mobil and felt a NOT so smooth trany? The smoothness of transmission is the main reason why i used amsoil. but im open minded to try others..

Originally Posted By: pbudgell
Trying to pick one for my bike, it's an 08 ZX14. Both oils are around the same price here in Newfoundland and will get changed at around 3000kms use or sooner. Which is the better oil for my bike? It tends to run hot being a big bore and gets worked rather hard during runs. The grade will be 10W40, I'd like to run Motul 300V but it's $23 a liter here as compared to $10 for the Mobil or the Amsoil. Which would you go with?

Even Amsoil's website shows them to be about a draw.

Originally Posted By: arkainzeye
i just noticed as well that on the amsoil oil test http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

they show that the mobil 1 20w50 scores alot better in all the test compared to the 10w40. The 10w40 did very well, but when you compare it to the 20w50, the 20w50 Vtwin oil really did well...

What about the flash point for Mobil 1 V-Twin?

270°C or 518°C, that is scorching!

And lots of boron and ZDDP .18% and a little moly.

6 of this, 1/2 dozen of that......

About the same quality oils, Amsoil has higher TBN and Mobil doesn't use a flaky marketing system. But with 3000km OCI almost any oil would do well.

Last edited:
But the MX4T doesn't seem to spec as well as the V-Twin 20W-50, strangely.

What's with the km measurement, don't you speak the same language as your countrymen?

About the 3000k OCI. That is why a bought a 20 litre drum of Delo 400 CI4+ oil today for AUD$82 or about $75 Greenbacks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig750
I was just joking with Zedhed, but he was quoting your OCI, so it wasn't really well placed.

3000km = 1864 miles OCI

Last edited:
well i tried the mobil1 motorcycle oil for $7.99 a qt. i have been using amsoil in my victory vision (6 speed) since the beginning.. I thought id give m1 m/c oil a try. I never used it before. I will say (so far) in 400 miles. its shifting just like amsoil. start (cold start) the same as well. whats nice is, i can get it anywhere. and it was 1/2 the price ,at least for this oil change..

"whats nice is, i can get it anywhere. and it was 1/2 the price"

Suddenly, the light came on!

There are plenty of very good, off the shelf oils available to the consumer that will fit any motorcycle requirements.

I run a lot of equipment that need annual oil changes. Everything from multiple motorcycles, car, truck, ATVs, OPE. When using numerous litres of oil on a regular basis, cost becomes relevant. After years of using HDEO in most applications without any oil related mechanical issues, I have no doubt that it's a consistently suitable lubricant. I will never understand why anyone would pay ridiculous prices for designer oil when there is absolutely no need for it.

One has to wonder as well, how much of the price for the boutique oils is the premium paid for the owner to say "I'm running "Oil of Eye of Newt" in my Lambretta Testosteronee' Grande."

Why not just stand on a street corner and give your money to street people? Chances are it will be put to better use.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

One has to wonder as well, how much of the price for the boutique oils is the premium paid for the owner to say "I'm running "Oil of Eye of Newt" in my Lambretta Testosteronee' Grande."
Why not just stand on a street corner and give your money to street people? Chances are it will be put to better use.

I tried oil of eye of newt in my Honda 150. It smelled bad. I went back to Rotella T6 5W-40. Much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back