Draining oil overnight, any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
I think draining overnight, not to mention a flush quart, is overkill.
dunno.gif
Just drain hot until a slow drip and it should be ok.

I agree!

I read/hear all the time that people recommending changing oil while it's hot, as if this is the best practice. If your oil is severely neglected (dispersant used up, and contaminants start to settle), then maybe, but otherwise, it's best to change it when it's cold (or better leave the car overnight before change). Think about what the oil will do while it's getting cold: it's draining into the crankcase duh! The longer you leave it at that state, the more it'll return to it. Now when you open your drain plug, all you need to worry about is the crankcase, especially for you guys that worry about getting the maximum used oil drained.

I agree with the above "agree." But what about priming the new filter by filling it with with clean oil and making sure the new oil is at least room temp? That would get up into pump/engine quickly wouldn't it?

I do what sgtgeek does but use oil that I drain out of the bottom of new bottles after an oil change. But I use leftover oil from partially empty bottles of oil and collect them into a 5 quart flush jug.

When I change out my Factory-Fill, I'll drain it and refill with cheap oil and run it a day or two with the old filter. That'll get it nice for the replacement oil and filter.

So, those who are changing oil brands and want to get all of the old oil out should

1. Let their car sit for awhile (overnight or half a day) so all the oil drains to the bottom (drain pan?).

Then drain the oil. This will get out most of the old oil brand out of the engine?

but it doesnt take all night to drain the oil back to the pan. when you change the oil do you add oil and then start it up then shut it off. and then do you let it sit all day to get the oil to the bottom? i know i dont and a lot of people dont. let it sit for 15 - 30 min and it should be down to the pan. cummins says to let the engine sit for 15 or 20 min after shutting off to check the oil. would you really want to check the oil if some of it was in the upper part of the engine.

I've heard something how oils today stick to metal longer than oils in the past - especially synthetics.

I know I've let my oil drain for 1.5 hours and it was still dripping at a very slow rate.
tongue.gif

if you're all so worried about remaining oil and contaminants at change time, why not just change the oil a little earlier before the oil "deteriorates". i mean really folks, if you are concerned about half a quart still remaining, why aren't you worried about the 6 quarts that were in the sump for "too long"
so unless you are trying to clean a contaminated system, sounds to me like alot of p!ssing in the wind

I've never tried p!ssing in the wind but I think that is illegal in the city here...
grin.gif

For me personally - I'm worried when I change from one brand of oil to another brand that the additives will "clash" causing the oil to wear out faster or harm in my engine. If I am going to put the SAME brand of oil in - I could care less about draining it all out.

Maybe I got something messed up but thats just me
grin.gif

P is what this is all about.

It's no less anal to obsess about draining every last drop than it is to change the oil at 3K (or less) if it needs changing or not.

I personally think getting as much old oil out as possible is a good thing, no matter the age of the oil. This doesn't make me a bad person.....just different
smile.gif

I tell you on my old turbo with large oil cooler and large dual remote full flow filter and associated plumbing, it took some effort to get that old oil out and it was more than a thimble full.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
I do what sgtgeek does but use oil that I drain out of the bottom of new bottles after an oil change. But I use leftover oil from partially empty bottles of oil and collect them into a 5 quart flush jug.

But I thought that's what Trop Artic was?!!!
smile.gif

I dont think this is anal by any means....just a discussion on the most efficient means of draining oil out of a car...more than one way to skin a cat and the fella has ask the question....no big deal....of course I would be remiss if I failed to mention...you must wear a buffalo head dress and dance around your car to ge the last voodoo cursed old oil out.....white buffalo works best.

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:

But I thought that's what Trop Artic was?!!!
smile.gif

I dont think this is anal by any means....just a discussion on the most efficient means of draining oil out of a car...more than one way to skin a cat and the fella has ask the question....no big deal....of course I would be remiss if I failed to mention...you must wear a buffalo head dress and dance around your car to ge the last voodoo cursed old oil out.....white buffalo works best.

^^^
lol.gif
lol.gif
sarge, you slay me!

My Fords are all accessible without any ramps. I drain after they sit out all night and most oil has been drained into the pan. By the time I change out the filter, few if any drops are coming out.

It makes no sense to me to re circulate oil back through the system (or draining hot) then attempt to drain it out all out after you have done this????

What's up with that?

When I was kid, one of my jobs was to change the oil in dads drag car. Our oil pans (oversized) often hit a spot on trailer and I would have to pull the pan to repaint or knockout dents or both. You need to drain the oil to do this. I noticed that cold oil drains would leave a very find coating of metal particles on the bottom of the pan. Hot drains, or at least recently running drains did not do this nearly as much. Hot or cold, I am convinced that recently circulated oil has more stuff suspended than oil that has been sitting in the pan all night.

Surely someone else has seen the metal fines in the bottom of an oil pan...At least in the old days.

I've tried the "flush" method after the oil flow slows down to a drip. I'd pour in about 1/4 quart fresh oil over a minute or so and then watch on as it all came out. However, after a couple minutes, I'd notice that the oil dripping out is dirty again. I suspect that this flush actually doesn't really flush a whole lot out, but rather quickly flows out of oil pan before mixing with the old oil. Anybody else notice the same thing?

what about putting the plug in a turn or two and then dumping some oil in and after a few min pull the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back