Honda HRR216 Surging Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having problem with my Honda HRR216, which I have two of them with same symptom. The engine starts fine but when running at optimal speed, it would surge up and down. You can even see the spring mechanism (governor?) moving back and forth.

If you move the level *with the rabbit and turtle* all the way down to the rabbit, it would run normal, but no cutting power.

I search of the problem, it seems like these models have bad carbs and some replaced them said they ran fine after that. I took off the carb twice to clean, still same problem.

The third time, I opened the fuel bowl at the bottom and notice a pointed piece like a valve must have fell of somewhere. I beleive it fell off of the place inside the bowl where the fuel enters as there is this floater mechanism. Now it will only run in rabbit mode, any less it shuts down.

There should be a small "bar" and "hinge" the little valve fits into. The valve moves up and down and helps regulate the fuel. If the "bar" and "hinge" are missing you will have to replace them.

You either lost the float hinge or the float needle, but I forget if these Honda carbs have a separate float needle. You are probably going to need to get a new carburetor. Your original problem was probably a dirty carburetor. This is why I don't like Honda mowers with their crummy carbs. They seem to gum up easily.

I second Planopower. I ordered a wheel adjuster assembly for my Honda Harmony pushmower from them a few years ago. Reasonable and fast. I too would throw a whole new carb on this mower. These high efficiency and emissions compliant float carbs are definitely trouble spots. Any junk will collect in the bowl, combine that with months of non-use and you've got problems.

Joel

Last edited:
I run Sta-Bil year round in everything besides the cars. I have never had a fuel problem with anything. I also have a HRR216SDA Honda mower and it runs new. Use Sta-Bil year round!

Thanks guys for the website! Actually I have three HRR216, one of the earlier model with heavy deck (about 15 years of usage now) and two later ones with light deck. It is the later ones that are having this problem.

To be fair, the earlier model is used year-round. I feel that my earlier model is much more durable than the two later ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back