Mobil 1 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first VOA.

Oil: Mobil 1 5w30 0 miles

Analysis was done by Toromont Caterpillar ($CDN 20 including tax and shipping).

Iron 1
Chrome 0
Moly 93
Aluminum 0
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 2
Titanium 0
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 6
Sodium 7
Potassium 3
Zinc 700
Magnesium 8
Phosphorus 689
Barium 0

Soot UFM # 0
Sulfur UFM # 18
Oxidation UFM # 15
Nitrates UFM # 8

Viscosity cSt at 100C 11.4
TBN 8.5
TAN 0.4

Antifreeze negligible
Fuel Dilution negligible
Water negligible

Boron? A lot different looking then the older Mobil 1 that used to have at Tbn of 12.

No Boron or calcium,thats a important additive,what kind of VOA lab is that? i would shy away from them again.

Originally Posted By: daman
No Boron or calcium,thats a important additive,what kind of VOA lab is that? i would shy away from them again.

It would be fine for a *U*OA though.

Hi,

I realize that the Boron and Calcium numbers would be nice, however for my purposes I can live without them. My main interest in using Toromont Caterpillar is for UOAs, and I did the VOA just so I could get a comparison point (fresh versus used oil) for the major wear metals, TAN, TBN, and 100C viscosity. The other reasons I've started using them is that they have a good reputation in the heavy equipment industry for doing accurate analysis, they literally are only a few blocks from my home so it's easy for me to drop the bottle off for their daily courier service, and the price ($CDN 20 including taxes, about the same in $US now that the currencies are at parity) is cheap enough that I'm likely to do more frequent UOAs than I otherwise would.

Regards,

Garth

Originally Posted By: garthg
Hi,

I realize that the Boron and Calcium numbers would be nice, however for my purposes I can live without them. My main interest in using Toromont Caterpillar is for UOAs, and I did the VOA just so I could get a comparison point (fresh versus used oil) for the major wear metals, TAN, TBN, and 100C viscosity. The other reasons I've started using them is that they have a good reputation in the heavy equipment industry for doing accurate analysis, they literally are only a few blocks from my home so it's easy for me to drop the bottle off for their daily courier service, and the price ($CDN 20 including taxes, about the same in $US now that the currencies are at parity) is cheap enough that I'm likely to do more frequent UOAs than I otherwise would.

Regards,

Garth

Same reason I use them - I'm in West-End Ottawa, and that dealership in Kanata is about a 10-15 min. drive for me.

I've e-mailed them about the test, ad they say their lab isn't equipped/able to test for Ca and B at the moment.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: garthg
Hi,

Regards,

Garth

Same reason I use them - I'm in West-End Ottawa, and that dealership in Kanata is about a 10-15 min. drive for me.

I've e-mailed them about the test, ad they say their lab isn't equipped/able to test for Ca and B at the moment.

Addyguy,

I drive past the Toromont Caterpillar building very regularly. It wasn't until I discovered BITOG and your posts that I realized I had a handy place for oil analysis. Thanks for pointing it out to the forum.

When I dropped off my samples, a burly customer beside me said "Yeah, it doesn't hurt to see how the engines in your big rigs are running". I didn't have the heart to tell him the samples were for a 2.5 Liter gasoline Subaru engine !

Garth

Yeah, first time I went to ask for one test kit, I got questions about how big my fleet was, what business was I in....really silenced them when I said it was just for my little car in the lot....

That's one of the reasons I started using Wearcheck, was because they were so close to my house. I was disappointed when they moved their lab from Mississauga to Burlington at first, but in the end it worked out because my new job is just five minutes away from their new lab! I always hated sending samples through the mail (or courier) and waiting forever for the results (one time back in the early days when I was sending stuff across the border to a lab Terry was using in Texas it took me a month to get my results!)

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Yeah, first time I went to ask for one test kit, I got questions about how big my fleet was, what business was I in....really silenced them when I said it was just for my little car in the lot....

Likewise for my QL shop. Practically got the 'freak show' look when I asked them to take a sample for me to send to a lab for UOA.

Between Toromont Caterpillar, Fluid Life Corp. and also WearCheck, it's nice to see that we've got a few labs in Ontario to choose from.

Garth, Toromont does appear to be a quite accurate lab. Their 100C vis measure of 11.4cSt is almost spot on compared to M1's PDS info of 11.3cSt.
The same accurate reading occured when rcy had the Toyota 0W-20 tested by Toromont. Their VOA for the 100C vis was 8.85cSt vs Toyota's published spec' of 8.8cSt. Wearcheck was way off at 9.7cSt initially and still way off on a re-test at 9.3cSt.
The only complaint I have with Toromont is that they don't do a 40C vis measure.

BigTallV, Fluid Life also appears to be an accurate lab and it's nice to have another lab to Wearcheck that does 40C and 100C vis tests (accurately) for only $26.95.

Originally Posted By: badnews
TBN 8.5
might as well use WalMart syn oil

Isn't that about the same as Red Line oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back