Ford Introduces New Taurus-based Police Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully for Ford it sells well but it will be interesting to see if departments will be willing to switch to FWD or AWD. Certainly AWD will be popular in some climates as well as the turbo 3.5 V6. Durability and cost to maintain will be key, can it really jump curbs like the older BOF style cars? We'll see. At least it is a huge car with a huge trunk. Often the complaints of the Charger and Impala are that they are too cramped.

Ford tried this in the past. I worked at a Ford dealer when they did and the front-drive unibody platform just could not endure the severe service of police work. The police hated them and so did the techs tryng to keep them running. Ford may want to keep the Crown Vic assembly line on standby. Dodge and Chevy will take over Police car sales.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I think that car will have a very tough time being able to keep pace with the CVPI. The CVPI is a proven design and is tough. Time will tell.

You, along with others, just cannot accept that newer products can be just as good if not better than their predecessors.

54.gif

The new Chevy Caprice police package is rear wheel drive based on the Camaro platform. It will have a 6.0 V8, 355 HP, 0-60 times under 5 seconds. I sure hope that they price it right so that agencies can afford it and put the Ford out to pasture...

pics-aplenty-plus-video-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-on-patrol.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I think that car will have a very tough time being able to keep pace with the CVPI. The CVPI is a proven design and is tough. Time will tell.

You, along with others, just cannot accept that newer products can be just as good if not better than their predecessors.

54.gif

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

54.gif

Maybe so, but why not just update a proven design? There is no reason they could not have done some redesigning to the CVPI.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

54.gif

Yes, very true!

Ford is offering two versions of the new Police Interceptor - a FWD, Duratec V-6, and the AWD, EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6. People who say that Ford tried this before in the 90's with Taurus don't have a clue what they're talking about! This is a completely different, better car. I am not a fan of any FWD, V-6 police car, but the AWD EcoBoost could prove to be amazing. If anybody wants to get GOOD information about the PI, here you go:

www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com

You may have to reload the page if it doesn't load right away. I would strongly encourage everyone to take about twenty minutes or so and check out the video in the upper right corner. And, take my advice, watch the entire video.

Johnny,
the CVPI was the last body-on-frame police car made. The Charger is RWD, and can be had in either V-6 or v-8 Hemi flavors. The Impala is FWD, and comes only with a v-6. From what I have HEARD, both have had substantial mechanical issues besides being smaller than the CVPI. But there is much, much more to a police car than performance only. If there weren't, we'd all be riding Ninja's or some other crotch rocket.

The new PI looks very promising, and people need to get over thinking Ford has taken a step backwards. Regardless, over the next few years, between the Dodge Charger, Chevy Caprice, Ford Police Interceptor, and CarbonMotors E7, police will have the best police car choices EVER!

Then how are we going to progress as a society?

Consumers need to support continuous improvement if they want to see better products in the future.

Are the Dodge and Chevy not on a unibody platform? Are the Dodge and Chevy RWD?

Both the Charger and the Caprice are unibody, and RWD. The Charger is Canadian built, whilst the Caprice is entirely an Australian effort (engineering and assembly).

I cannot speak for American Police Departments, but neither vehicle did well in Kuwait (the RWD Caprice has been around since late 1999 here).

Last year, our Ministry of Interior (who is responsible for the Kuwait Police Forces) ordered a fleet of Dodge Chargers directly from Chrysler - all equipped with US equipment prior to shipment. Couple of months down the line, they purchased an entire fleet of Crown Victorias. They're easier to work on, parts are cheaper and they handle the heat and police driving conditions very well.

The Caprices were reserved for light police work, such as an additional prisoner transport vehicle or for general use (e.g. forensics department). It's a beautiful car, especially the 2007+ models, and great fun to drive...but it's not really well suited to police duty. They replaced them with the Chevrolet Lumina this year, which is basically a short wheel base Caprice, and are now only for general use.

The Crown Victorias and Expeditions make up the majority of our patrol vehicles. The Expeditions are older, and although the Chargers were supposed to be their replacement, they ended up replacing them with Crown Victorias again. The Chargers are proving expensive to run, and there really isn't much to them other than performance and styling so to speak.

Then how are we going to progress as a society?

Consumers need to support continuous improvement if they want to see better products in the future.
I don't want better products in the future, I just want something that works. I would be perfectly content driving a 1985 Chev 4x4 truck if the salt here wouldnt destroy it. I prefer to stick with what works. New doesnt always mean better.

The CVPI is a very dependable, durable car. However, its' engine is completely anemic, being matched or bested by the v-6's in the Charger, Impala, and the new PI. It's RWD handling is good only in dry conditions, on smooth pavement. Go around a corner while hitting a pot hole and see how your world gets rocked!
I absolutely love the CVPI, but also understand that it is time for a more modern vehicle. It's sort of like a land-line telephone compared to cell phones. You know the land-line will always be there, and will get you dependable, clear communications. However, cell phones have taken over because they have much more to offer, and are the future. Yeah, we may never get back that same, clear voice quality that land-lines offer, but the times demand the change.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I think Carbon Motors may be giving them all a run

http://www.carbonmotors.com/news-release...rbon-Motors-E7-

I don't know anything about Carbon Motors but I do know that Dr. Lee Brown (one of their advisors) was known as "out of town Brown" when he was NYC Police Commissioner.
He had a knack for being out of town whenever 'sh** hit the fan'.
He is a political hack of the highest order IMO.

PS: The new Ford police package seems far superior to the GM offering.

Quote:
People who say that Ford tried this before in the 90's with Taurus don't have a clue what they're talking about!

Do you mean that they've never tried this before in the 90's Taurus? This is a 100% bare babe in the woods full blown no experience venture in pure nekid "what happens if we do this?" ..sorta like that Budget Rent a Car where they're brain storming and they come up with aroma therapy candles or jet packs (just keep your gauge pressure at 800psi!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?)

Sounds like a big gamble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back