SAE 90 GL5 gear oil suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to service the front and rear diffs in my Kia. The manual specifies SAE90 GL5 and Kia customer service confirmed that SAE90 straight weight is what I need to use to maintain warranty. I have located 3 gear lubes that are readily available that meet the spec. 1)Motul PA-90 2)Bel-ray Gear Saver SAE90 3)PJ1 hypoid gear oil. I also considered LE1604 but it is harder to find. What would you guys suggest?

From what I understand,Motul is supposed to be one of the best of the best! I`d just go for that one.

I have a hard time believing that a straight SAE 90 mineral GL5 gear oil is something that would be good for any differential operating during a Colorado winter. Would not lubricate when extremely cold, but probably stay semi-solid. I would at least use a synthetic like 80W-90 Amsoil. Better yet, use Severe Gear 75W-90. This is what any modern car specifies, a 75W-90 grade gear oil. You do not want a straight SAE 90 in there during the winter, trust me.

I use M1 75w90 in my Sportage. Could care less what it calls for!

If you tow or work the vehicle, you could step up to a 75w110 from Amsoil, Klotz, or JoeGibbs.

A straight weight gear oil is a bad choice for a street car.
A 75-90 or similar is much wiser.
I'd use a full synthetic gear oil in any differential or transmission.

Thanks for the responses. The vehicle is a 2008 KIA Sorento 3.8l with Torque on Demand AWD. I specifically asked KIA America when I called them as to why a modern vehicle is using straight weight mineral gear oil and they said SAE90 was the factory fill and that is what was tested in the car. KIA tech service did say the factory fill of SAE90 has a lot of moly so it will appear nearly black but they would not recommend a multi weight to use as an alternative. I originally thought of going with amsoil severe gear 75w90 or 75w110 until I re-read the manual and SAE90 was spec'd for the diffs. I have heard Hyundai/Kia will try to get out of the 10yr warranty if the owners manual is not followed to the letter.

Originally Posted By: dave63
KIA tech service did say the factory fill of SAE90 has a lot of moly so it will appear nearly black but they would not recommend a multi weight to use as an alternative.

I believe that the Motul PA-90 you mentioned in the o.p. has a good amount of moly in it (anyone know for sure??).

My guess is that they are calling their moly Sae 90 gear oil a straight grade, but it is most likely really a multi-grade. Maybe this time use their oil just because of your warranty concerns, then step up to your original choice after warranty is up. Save your receipts!

For me, I would just go ahead with the better gear oil now.

I too have an 06 Sorento but I have the 4wd, part time. I am also in the mood to change my diffs. I went to the dealership and asked. They had a current cross reference in regards to this question and they advised a 75W-90 Synthetic for the front and rear. The serive manager said that they fill diffs with this fluid.

From what I have read and found out, straight 90 is more like a marine application and very hard to find. All I was able to find was a Shell 90 weight, but it was spacifically for outboard applications.
I think that you will have no issue with going for a synthetic 75-90 gear oil. The transfer case is specd for a dexron III as well which is not hard to find.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
STD Valvoline or Penn or Warren 80w-90 should do fine this is not a Cheyenne with a 454 big block.

Granted this truck will not have as much torque as an the 454, but many newer trucks have small sumps, small internal components, and very little airflow to cool the gear oil, that is why some new trucks can be more demanding than trucks from the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back