98 Lumina with 3.1 V6 losing coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you meant tapping and not pounding :p

I dont remember the number of lim bolts off hand. but double check to make sure you got them all

glad to hear you have the FSM.

If not take your time all kinds of different spots and angles and what not.

I didnt have to involve a hammer at all. just found a spot and was able to pry up gently and it crackled and popped loose.

maybe yours is stubborn?

Yes, it was stubborn. I used a bolt and a nut that just fit on the V3.1 engine in the space between the upper and lower intake manifolds. I hold the bolt with a wrench that rested on the lower and turned the nut that pushed on the upper.

Thank you for your suggestions - now I need to go back to work - maybe I can finish today.

Paul

Originally Posted By: pgc
Thank you for your suggestion!

The bolts were not loose.

Yes, I have the a torque wrench and I also have the Service Manual for the car. So, I know the torque values.

Thank you, again.

Paul

Do you have the revised torque spec? The outside bolts get 18 ft-lbs now.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you! I have the second edition of the Service Manual and it says 25 N m (18 lb ft).

To rotate the engine, do you have to use the J41131 engine tilt strap? Is this strap specific to the Chevy Lumina or can it be used on other GM cars?

You mean pull the engine foward?
I just did my 3800 like this...
valvecover1.jpg

you should be able to do something similar.

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
benjamming,

I'm not a mechanic, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The leak is, to my knowledge, the only real weakness of this engine. I base this on a lot of reading around on the 'net, as well as discussions that I have with a couple of GM mechanics who work on them frequently.

One thing that these mechanics advised me about [which may answer your 'repeat problem' question] is at one point, GM had a backorder on the "improved" replacement gasket, and many cars were fitted with the same, inferior one just to get them back on the road. Both of these mechanics said that they had ZERO comebacks on gasket replacements when the improved part was used. I honestly have not read of people having to get this problem fixed more than once. Hope this helps. Yes, it's all second-hand info, but I can assure you these guys have no reason to lie to me about it.

We had the intake gasket go twice on our 2001 Impala with the 3.4 L. The first time it was done by the stealership under warranty. They said they put an improved gasket on it. The second time two years later, it was out of warranty and we had a local mechanic do it, he said that there is a second generation of improved gasket. One year after that the cam position sensor leaked antifreeze and we had that replaced, it seams that it is common for the plastic of the seal for that sensor to get brittle and crack and then leak from the crack. So look for antifreeze on the starter motor. If you find some, check around the cam position sensor for a leak. The intake gasket leak showed a very small drip on the top side of the engine.

If you do an intake gasket, remember to retorque it once after driving for a month or so.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
benjamming,

I'm not a mechanic, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The leak is, to my knowledge, the only real weakness of this engine. I base this on a lot of reading around on the 'net, as well as discussions that I have with a couple of GM mechanics who work on them frequently.

One thing that these mechanics advised me about [which may answer your 'repeat problem' question] is at one point, GM had a backorder on the "improved" replacement gasket, and many cars were fitted with the same, inferior one just to get them back on the road. Both of these mechanics said that they had ZERO comebacks on gasket replacements when the improved part was used. I honestly have not read of people having to get this problem fixed more than once. Hope this helps. Yes, it's all second-hand info, but I can assure you these guys have no reason to lie to me about it.

We had the intake gasket go twice on our 2001 Impala with the 3.4 L. The first time it was done by the stealership under warranty. They said they put an improved gasket on it. The second time two years later, it was out of warranty and we had a local mechanic do it, he said that there is a second generation of improved gasket. One year after that the cam position sensor leaked antifreeze and we had that replaced, it seams that it is common for the plastic of the seal for that sensor to get brittle and crack and then leak from the crack. So look for antifreeze on the starter motor. If you find some, check around the cam position sensor for a leak. The intake gasket leak showed a very small drip on the top side of the engine.

If you do an intake gasket, remember to retorque it once after driving for a month or so.

Opps, now that I had time to remember, it was oil that leaked on-to the starter, when the cam position sensor cracked, and leaked. Sorry about that. The mechanic did say it was a common problem for those engines, so look for it anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Guess that is specific to your car?

Didn't have do that on the 95 grand am

Had to do that On a Montana with the 3400. Problem was once you removed the bolts for the front torque mounts, then engine leans backwards on the firewall and removing the alternator is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back