Spark plug wire replacement; how important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, many of you know that I'm tight on cash. I used to be very paranoid about maintenance and would change anything before the regular interval.

So far, I'm going use a 15,000 mile oil like Castrol edge and replace the oil filter every 7,500 miles and change the oil entirely at 15,000 miles. (car burns a quart every 3,000 miles).

Now my question: Spark plug wires? I used to change the spark plugs and wires every 30,000 miles.

How much would the car's performance be affected if I change the spark plugs at 30k and spark plug wires at every 60k versus 30k for both? I've always used NGK V-power coppers.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Well, many of you know that I'm tight on cash. I used to be very paranoid about maintenance and would change anything before the regular interval.

So far, I'm going use a 15,000 mile oil like Castrol edge and replace the oil filter every 7,500 miles and change the oil entirely at 15,000 miles. (car burns a quart every 3,000 miles).

Now my question: Spark plug wires? I used to change the spark plugs and wires every 30,000 miles.

How much would the car's performance be affected if I change the spark plugs at 30k and spark plug wires at every 60k versus 30k for both? I've always used NGK V-power coppers.

The wires on my cav are originals, and though I've been thinking about replacing them, they still work just fine. Get some NGK G-Power and run them for 60, 70k or mor. Replace the plug wires now and then never worry about them again.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

The wires on my cav are originals, and though I've been thinking about replacing them, they still work just fine. Get some NGK G-Power and run them for 60, 70k or mor. Replace the plug wires now and then never worry about them again.

Platinums are a big no-no for older Hyundai engines. Once I spent a fortune to the Germans and bought Bosch platinums +4. The result? Poor fuel economy, harsh starts, sluggish engine.

I would be willing to bet that is simply because Bosch plugs SUCK. Stay far away from them unless they are OE. You should not notice any difference at all between the NGK Copper and plats, besides you can run them for a lot longer.

Good wires should last 100K

I just replaced the plugs and wires in my 99 for the first time at 90K. I have never had good luck with any bosch ignition product. Ignition wise it's really hard to beat OE. A single platinum should work fine in your 99 but stay away from +4's or V type plugs.

The plug wires on my 1994 LS400 with 250k miles is original and so are plug wires on my 2000 E430 with 110k miles. I don't think plug wires are needed to change unless damaged.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
If made of silicone rubber they should last a long time.

+1

At least 100k, modern plug wires are done in by rough handling during plug changes more than anything else.

Put some silicone grease in the boots so they won't stick to the plugs and you can be a lot gentler with them. it would be a good idea to do that on new cars before they become stuck to the plugs, not that I ever actually get around to doing that.

...How much would the car's performance be affected if I change the spark plugs at 30k and spark plug wires at every 60k versus 30k for both? I've always used NGK V-power coppers.

Excellent spark plugs! I'd stick with them. Rather than just fix a date/mileage to change your plugs and wires, use a fixed interval to test/inspect your plugs and wires. A quick resistance check will determine if you've built up too much resistance in the plug wire (typically 150K Ohms is bad for a carbon impregnated spark plug wire while magnetic suppression wire runs about 200-400 Ohms per foot). Most likely, the only reason to change modern spark plug wire outside of melting the wire on a hot surface is due to damage to the terminals and boots due to tugging on the wire during installation/inspection. Try using silicon dielectric grease on the connectors and inside the boots to minimize this risk.

Checking you spark plugs for carbon fouling and gap erosion every 30K isn't a bad idea either. I wouldn't be surprised to see the plugs last 75K with modern ignition systems. The biggest enemy to plug life is fouling due to oil contamination (a quart every 3K seems to be a bit much, but may be normal for the miles on the engine.)

Good Luck!

Ive never seen a modern wire with issues at 30k. The reasons to replace are due to increase in resistance, cracks or leaked voltage, or a bad conductor/connector. Replacing just for the sake of replacing isnt doing much.

Wires play a very important part of the ignition system - it carrys the current to fire the spark. You're only as good as the weakest link. I, presonally, always replace the wires at every tuneup and use MSD wires which only have 50ohms of resistance. I know that may be overkill to some. Wire also get beat up on by heat, ozone, people tugging on them, chaffing on engine parts, etc.

I've noticed that plug wires are like waterpumps and alternators in that they may go 100k miles or 10k miles - you can't predict. You can easily test the resistance of your wires to see if they are good. I beleive the avg OEM wire should have less then 10,000ohms to be considered good.

Since you're on a budget and the car is not missing, you're wires are probably good for now. You can also mist some water on them while the engine is running at night and see if they are arcing - if so - replace them.

Last edited:
If it's just the cost and you don't mind the labor (after all you're half done when you do the plugs) get something with a lifetime warranty and save the receipt. Do it from a store you can bike to if it's your only car, or yank the wires in the parking lot.

You'll feel them start to go bad when it rains and moderate throttle makes a miss. Your OBDII should pick up on that too.

If you are short on cash, why use EDGE since you burn 5 qts during the 15,000 mile projected OCI??? [1 qt/3k]
Seems to be a very poor choice.

I would get double platinum plugs for that engine, instead of the plain steel tips. You can get copper cored plats, but who really cares how or what method is used to dissipate heat?
Plug life will be 50k or more. They will not deteriorate from day one like plain steel. And long term gas use should be better.

Wires? It depends on oil contamination and heat. They can last 100k if conditions are right.

Ok, I had a friend of mine check the ohm resistance with his ohm meter. He told me that 2 of 4 were out-of-whack and required replacement. I gave it back to Autozone and they gave me fresh plug wires.

Awesome lifetime warranty!!!!

I used to do the 30k plugs and wires thing, and after awhile i just decided i was waisting $$$ if i get a code, or can feel a miss, its time. The cavi has approx 62,000 on the current wires.. still perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back