Power Steering calls for Dex II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing routine maintenance on my boat and noticed that i'm pretty low on power steering fluid. Looking in my repair manual the power steer fluid calls for Dex II or of course Volvo Penta approved fluid (which we all know is way over priced).

So, my question is can i use an approved Dex III or Dex VI? i have a lot of Dex VI on hand.

Shouldn't be a problem...Dex II was recommended then because that was the latest & greatest fluid at the time the boat was made. Now it's 2010 and Dex VI is the latest & greatest.

I'd use Dexron III; I believe Dexron VI is backwards compatible for transmissions but not power steering units. It says it on the back of the bottle.

i completely understand the concept of "latest and greatest" but the boat and engine is a 2002. Wasn't Dex III out by then? So, why would it still spec Dex II?

I'd use Mercon V, or something like Maxlife Dex/Merc in this case.

I think Dex/Merc Dex III would be fine in place of DEX II for a P/S. I think DEX II and III have similar viscosity. You can't really get Dex II anymore or really DEX III but the Dex/Merc is probably the same as III. DEX VI might work even though it has a lower starting viscosity but it'd be a waste of expensive ATF.

Originally Posted By: xsports33
i completely understand the concept of "latest and greatest" but the boat and engine is a 2002. Wasn't Dex III out by then? So, why would it still spec Dex II?
Yes, but when was the manual written? Apparently nobody updated the spec for the steering fluid that was printed in the book.

Any of the all-purpose fluids recommended for transmissions that originally called for a Dexron-III ATF will work fine.

Dex II was already way obsolete in 2002. The spec just wasn't updated because by then you'd only be able to find Dex III anyway which is designed to be Dex II backwards compatible, so no harm, no foul. A Dex/Merc (Dexron III) will do fine, but if it puts your mind at ease, Redline has an ATF specifically formulated for Dex II applications (see below). Good luck finding it anywhere else.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=50&pcid=9

Last edited:
Dex/merc fluids are still available. I still prefer using a synthetic like Mobil1, Maxlife, Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Amalie.... or any universal multivehicle ATF. Mercon-V is another easy choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back