Camshaft seal replacement ('01 Honda Civic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed one of my camshaft seals are leaking.

There's a cap over it, and it looks like if I remove that, the seal may just pop off.

Any tips?

I hope the cam doesn't have to move up to get it out.

I replaced the same seal on my sons old 96 Accord and just slipped the belt off, pulled the pulley, took out the old seal, and replaced it with the new one. Wasn't much to it.

Take care to not scratch the cam when you remove the seal.
After you get the seal out, clean the area on the cam where the seal will contact it.
A light scotch brite scuffing is good.
Then oil it and reassemble. Sometimes a thin wall socket can be used to install the seal [tap with hammer], or even a dull punch walked around.

I got the Haynes shop manual for the 2001-2005 Civic as both my parents have a Civic.

I can scan the pages if you need them (or anything else) but it should be very similar to the web link above.

I've got a Haynes book, but I don't see where it states how to replace those seals.

Other then, when the whole rocker assembly is off, replace them.

I'm not going to remove all of that right now to fix the leak, I'll just keep adding oil. Maybe when it's due for a timing belt.

If I could just get the seal out, and installed without doing all of that, I would. But I'd hate to have to mangle it out, and then have a hard time getting the new one in.

The one that I can tell is leaking, is the one opposite the cam pulley.

It is smart to put BOTH cam seals in .
Remember that oil will puke a cam belt.

The old seals can be picked or pried out, or use a slide puller [like a dent puller with a small screw driven in the seal].

One similar question: I'm thinking about replacing my mom's corolla's crankshaft and cam seals when doing timing belt soon, it has 187k miles and going to be its 3rd T belt change, but these crankshaft and cam seals are original.

Make sense to change it? Would I be charged extra labor?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
One similar question: I'm thinking about replacing my mom's corolla's crankshaft and cam seals when doing timing belt soon, it has 187k miles and going to be its 3rd T belt change, but these crankshaft and cam seals are original.

Make sense to change it? Would I be charged extra labor?

YES.

I would replace any easily reached oil seal if it had over 100,000 miles or 7 years on it.

The labor cost to replace the seals is very small, and the seals shouldn't cost more than $30 for the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back