ford modular 4.6L coil packs water/washing engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know the deal with the coil packs on ford modular engines? specifically a 4.6L in a 2001 mercury grand marquis. The engine got washed down and next day the engine is bucking, and I'm told if/when you wash the engine down if you get the coil packs wet they fail and need to be replaced. I find it hard to believe that they need to be replaced, what is actually failing on them? I haven't looked first hand yet at how they are on this car, thought I would ask and see if anybody knows and save me the time looking when I get home tonight.
thanks

Last edited:
Most american autos have coil packs or coil over plug ignition.
I've wash off my 3.8 Grand Prixs several times each and had no problems.
Once the packs dry off, check the ignition wires for moisture under where the wires go into the coils.
Once the engine gets hot and then sits for a while the moisture should evaporate.

Also, check the plug wells. Sometimes the boots dont seal 100% and water gets down in there.

This is why I dont wash engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water can seen into the coil part of the assembly and short it out. Also the rubber boots can deteriorate. try taking all the coils out, maybe a 5 minutes job, and blow air into the wells. check the boots to see if they are too squishy. if they are then replace them.

Put some new plugs in it, motorcraft or autolite plugs.

That should take care of any problem.

Next time steam the motor, don't use water like that..

It's the coil packs. Use a code reader to find out which cylinder is misfiring. The coil pack should be about $50 each, and a 10,15 mintue job to replace. We had a few go on our 03 expedition 4.6L

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: punisher
You got water in the plug wells. Pull the boots, blow out wells and boots with compressed air........profit.

+ 1. once you dry out the plug wells it should be fine.

I think this year uses Coil on Plugs, they do not like being washed at all. Supposedly a kit for a few bucks that's just the connector that snaps to the spark plug.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee

This is why I dont wash engines.

Exactly! A damp rag, 2 min every time you wash your car will cure the need to ever stick a hose in there. I said in another thread, that I did it once back in the 90s, and never again for me. True, there are ways to cover everything, and be very careful. However, by the time I cover everything, I can have it wiped down by hand. Once clean, spray all plastic and rubber with Stoner Trim Shine, and it will look like new.

Yeah, you got to be careful with those Ford's 4.6 and 5.4 engines. The coil pack failure is really common on these. The 5.4 is notorious for blowing spark plugs. Make sure the engine is at room temperature if you decide to replace the plugs. The back ones are a PITA to get to and take out. There are aftermarket coil over plugs (COP) available, but from what I've read at other forums, they don't last long. Sometimes you can get a discount if you order or buy more than one COP.

borrowed a scan tool, P0300, P0307, P0308
cylinder 7 & 8 (driver side two rear most) had decent water in the spark plug well and the boots were wet. I pulled all the coils and boots, cleaned them off and blew the wells out, pulled all the spark plugs (autolite AP764) and all looked great at 107000 miles. All back together and runs great. Surprisingly it was a fairly easy job to pull all the coils and plugs.
thanks for the info.

Try pulling the plugs the two rear plugs, passenger side, on an Expedition with dual AC......you will invent new cuss words.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Try pulling the plugs the two rear plugs, passenger side, on an Expedition with dual AC......you will invent new cuss words.

Try doing that on a hot engine for a customer waiter. Oh the memories of those loose heater hose clamps dripping on #4.

Once a spark fires because of a short, it can do damage.
Problems may re surface in high humidity conditions, for example
Whether in a spark plug wire or boot, or the coil.

Is your OK? Dry everything out and keep an eye on it in the future.

Just stumbled across this, so I'll add my 2 cents worth. My 2000 Grand Marquis w/4.6 started misfiring during wet weather, but would fix itself as soon as it got dry. Scanner said cylinder 4 misfire.

I ran into a long-time taxicab mechanic who told me about wet coil packs and how #4 sometimes gets hosed when you go through a puddle. I lamented the demise of the old clear spray they used to sell in the old days for sealing distributors from water splash, and he told me he thought it was still around.

Sure enough, NAPA had a can. I sprayed all 8 coils with it, and never had another water problem.

NAPA part # MAC 1067 in a blue can with yellow writing

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/MCR1067

Edit: I think Krylon makes a similar product marketed toward the arts & crafts folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back