How are all terrain tires in the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dgee
Toyo Open Country A/T's and BFG A/T's are both superb in snow.
I love how quiet the Toyo's are on the freeway yet very capable on any terrain.
thumbsup2.gif

Agree with you on the Toyo's, had them on my F-250, they were excellent.

I have Destination A/Ts and they are great in the snow. Granted, we get a lot less than the North, but still my truck doesn't fish tail or anything unless I try.

I see this is turning into a this tire vs this tire battle... IMHO an all-terrain tire is only designed for light snow as much as an all-season (commonly referred to as highway tire, when used on trucks) is. The tire compound and tread style have more to do with it than brand or A/T vs A/S. If you're looking for performance in snow, get a snow tire.

FWIW, the Yokohama Geolanders's (A/T type) I put on my truck were horrible in snow. Needed 4wd in the lightest conditions just to get around. Same with the Kumho APT KL51's (highway type) that replaced them, even though the Kumho's had good reviews.

I finally had decent performance out of my current set of BF Goodrich Long Trail Tours in the snow (also a highway tire). Looking at the tread I can tell why, obvious sipes and jagged channels between tread blocks.

I have had a few sets of Goodyear Wranglers; they all suck on anything but dry pavement; I have Michelin LTX's on my Jeeps; (not offroaded, I live in the country where it can take a while for the plowd to come) and the extra cost has definitely been worth it! (just don't get the LTX-A/S'; I have M/S' on the wife's Cherokee and LTX A/T-II's on the Wrangler; I had the "original" A/T's on the Wrangler before; still over 1/2 tread remaining after 70K, only replaced them because I had gotten "afraid" of them due to age;
I have Steeltex A/T's (235/85R16, 10-ply) on my 83, 3/4 ton 2WD Dodge and even weighted down, they SUCK in snow.

NOTHING is good in snow but a SNOW tire.

Even the BEST all season tire on the market comes FAR short of the CHEAPEST snow tire on the market.

I had no idea that all terrain tires weren't good in snow. I just assumed that deep treaded tires would go good in snow.

All terrain tires IN the snow, here in Colorado have saved my life more then once. I won't put anything different on my trucks; however RESEARCHING WHICH A/T tire is key to having a good A/T tire in the snow.

I, for one, don't have the money to outfit all 3 of my trucks with 2 sets of tires; i.e. snow/winter tires and then A/T tires for summer use.

So...I've done my research and picked the best tire that works great for year round; with all the ice/snow that we get here, I'm happy to say my Bridgestone Revo's have performed flawlessly, I have NO complaints.

In the past I've had some horrible A/T tires, that performed perfect in DRY conditions, but that was about it. Most of those tires I've heard complaints about were Goodyear related and even I myself have had HORRIBLE experiences with BFG A/T KO, which have a snow symbol and are touted to be great, however I found them to be very scary on ice.

I have a friend who does in fact have snow tires on his Tundra; he hates them terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back