KY to Southern California: I-70 or I-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which route, in your opinion, is better?
route.png

I've taken the I-40 route three times before, but never the I-70 route. Anyone who's taken either route, I'd appreciate your input. The difference in miles and time is negligible - 2220 miles vs 2246 miles, and 1 day 11 hours vs 1 day 12 hours respectively. Are the I-70 route states pleasant to pass through?

Pros of I-40:
I'm familiar with it
I like the desert scenery
It's a little faster.
75mph highways in Arizona and New Mexico (I am not sure about Texas and Oklahoma but I think they're 70mph highways)

Cons of I-40:
Have to pass through Missouri (
lol.gif
)
Since the route is familiar, it won't be a new experience.

I'd really love your input. Thanks!
cheers3.gif
19.gif

If you're doing it soon, check the weather. Lots of high mountains through CO and UT. If weather's not a factor, I'd go 70 just because it's new. I assume you're doing a round trip. Go one way and come back the other. That's what I do when I go from Vancouver to Milwaukee, two different routes only 20 Mi different in 2100.

I-70 will take you longer than you think it will. The trip through Colorado will be a beautiful trip but the mountain passes will slow you down some. Same for parts of Utah. The trip across Kansas will be boring, unless you really like flat land.

I personally have always preferred the I-40 route. If I were going I-70, I would stop in Grand Junction for a week or so and just enjoy the Rocky Mountains.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
If you're doing it soon, check the weather. Lots of high mountains through CO and UT. If weather's not a factor, I'd go 70 just because it's new. I assume you're doing a round trip. Go one way and come back the other. That's what I do when I go from Vancouver to Milwaukee, two different routes only 20 Mi different in 2100.

What two routes do you take from Vancouver to Milwaukee? We are thinking about making that trip later this summer.

I'd take the southern route. Now if you were planning on stopping off in Las Vegas on your way then take I-70.

What you have shown is I-44 through Mo. an OK., I-40 goes through Arkansas and Tennessee.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

What two routes do you take from Vancouver to Milwaukee? We are thinking about making that trip later this summer.

One way via I90 through WY and SD and one way via 94 through ND. Next time I'm going to try MT212 in SE Montana for some new scenery. Have to go one way through Minneapolis so the teenage girls can go to Mall of America!

One way via I90 through WY and SD and one way via 94 through ND. Next time I'm going to try MT212 in SE Montana for some new scenery. Have to go one way through Minneapolis so the teenage girls can go to Mall of America!

You are a brave man to let teenage girls go to Mall of America. I've been there just once, just after they opened. My wife and son cost me a thousand dollars after spending just half a day in there. I will never go back.

Will be in May. It will be a one way trip :)

I-70 will take you longer than you think it will. The trip through Colorado will be a beautiful trip but the mountain passes will slow you down some. Same for parts of Utah. The trip across Kansas will be boring, unless you really like flat land.

I personally have always preferred the I-40 route. If I were going I-70, I would stop in Grand Junction for a week or so and just enjoy the Rocky Mountains.

Good advice and good post, thank you my friend.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Jump off I-40 where you can and run 66 too see the neet old stuff.

Great point. Going through I-40 I did see some route 66 stuff. It might do me well to go through John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath before I take the trip, to help give me some good historical perspective.

Originally Posted By: ALS
I'd take the southern route. Now if you were planning on stopping off in Las Vegas on your way then take I-70.

Thanks. I have no business in Las Vegas. I spent about a month there in 2007 for my job and that was enough. Really nice (read: flashy) town but it's for rich people.

Originally Posted By: jmac
What you have shown is I-44 through Mo. an OK., I-40 goes through Arkansas and Tennessee.

You are correct. I can do a more direct I-40 route: Take I-71 to I-65 in Tennessee and then jump on I-40 straight from there. It's an extra eighty miles, but... you know what? I think that's a better choice. There is no joy whatsoever in the route through southern Indiana and passing through Missouri. Taking I-65 will land me in Nashville, a city I absolutely adore.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Where are you going in Cal? Vacation?

Southern California, destination currently unknown. Will be resettling there. I'll be looking for a room to rent and then for a job shortly thereafter.

-------

I want to give my thanks to those who have posted in my thread. :)

since it would be a one way trip i'd do this

roadtripusa.com

and take the two lane blacktop. budget allowing of course.

Last edited:
Welcome to Southern California the land of earthquakes and wildfires. Housing cost is very expensive compares with Cincinnati, prepare for sticker shock. But the weather is nice all year long and many jobs to be found if you're willing/eager to work.

I moved/drove from Rochester, Minnesota to So Cal long time ago via I70. The drive through Colorado is beautiful, stopped at Veil for lunch and the weather was so nice even in summer. Since you're already drove I40, you should go on I70 this time.

Since this is a one way drive, take your time enjoy scenery while you drive.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Southern California, destination currently unknown.One way. Will be resettling there. I'll be looking for a room to rent and then for a job shortly thereafter.
Running from the law?

Last edited:
I think thats really a brave thing to do in this economy. I wish you nothing but luck.

I spent a couple weeks in Southern California and absolutely loved it. It takes some guts (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it), to move across the country destination unknown.

Please keep this thread updated. I can't wait to relocate west myself.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
since it would be a one way trip i'd do this

roadtripusa.com

and take the two lane blacktop. budget allowing of course.

Good post, I will make sure to check out some sights along Route 66 as I go.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
If you take 40. Jump off @ the Fenner/ Essex exit. Go left. Thats 66 and will take you through Essex,Chambles,Amboy(gas station is usually open here) past the Amboy crater, through desolate deset to Ludlow.

http://www.rt66roys.com/
http://chambless66.blogspot.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amboy_Crater
http://www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66ludlow.htm
http://digital-desert.com/ludlow-ca/

Great links Chris, I will have to examine each of them carefully!
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Welcome to Southern California the land of earthquakes and wildfires. Housing cost is very expensive compares with Cincinnati, prepare for sticker shock. But the weather is nice all year long and many jobs to be found if you're willing/eager to work.

I moved/drove from Rochester, Minnesota to So Cal long time ago via I70. The drive through Colorado is beautiful, stopped at Veil for lunch and the weather was so nice even in summer. Since you're already drove I40, you should go on I70 this time.

Since this is a one way drive, take your time enjoy scenery while you drive.

I have lived in San Diego before. I had a great job but found that I had peaked and could not move further in my employed life without a 4-year degree - so I ended up in the Cincinnati area to finish my university education. I'm much older than my classmates, but late is better than never. I graduate in two months. Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts in Southern California anymore, so I will be starting out fresh, again. It's definitely where I want to be. The weather and people absolutely cannot be beat! Rooms are reasonable. There are plenty in the $400-475 range. I've had my eye on the Orange County area, but if that place is completely bereft of jobs, I will have to either migrate north to LA or south to SD.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Running from the law?
lol.gif
Moving to another state does not solve legal troubles. To another country... maybe? But I have no legal issues to speak of :)
I think?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I think thats really a brave thing to do in this economy. I wish you nothing but luck.

I spent a couple weeks in Southern California and absolutely loved it. It takes some guts (or stupidity, depending on how you look at it), to move across the country destination unknown.

Please keep this thread updated. I can't wait to relocate west myself.

Thanks Justin.
I don't have a family depending on me for support. I am still nimble enough to cram my more valuable possessions into my sedan and take off. I can afford to take more chances to strike it big, or - at least - find a job that I enjoy doing. The worst that can happen is that I'll live in my car, but I'm way too resourceful to let it get to that point.
I like your blog by the way. Make sure you keep in touch.

If you are on I-40 and feel like some Route 66 detours like Chris suggested, there are some good ones in Arizona too. From not far outside Kingman, you can get on old-old 66 (pre 1953)and go through Oatman. It's a beautiful ride through the mountains, you don;t know whether to expect cowboys and Indians or Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner. Oatman is a semi restored old mining town with wild burros on the main street mooching snacks. You will need some careful map study to find out how to get on that stretch of 66 but it's worth it. Further East there is aloop of old 66 that you can get on someplace west of Flagstaff. It goes through Peach Springs and Hackberry and ends up just outside Kingman. You can drive on 66 right through Kingman. Mr D'z diner in Kingman is a good food stop. It's an old 50s style diner with good burgers.
http://www.mrdzrt66diner.com/

If you are going to take sections of 66, have good maps. The 66 signs keep getting stolen

Originally Posted By: XS650
If you are on I-40 and feel like some Route 66 detours like Chris suggested, there are some good ones in Arizona too. From not far outside Kingman, you can get on old-old 66 (pre 1953)and go through Oatman. It's a beautiful ride through the mountains, you don;t know whether to expect cowboys and Indians or Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner. Oatman is a semi restored old mining town with wild burros on the main street mooching snacks. You will need some careful map study to find out how to get on that stretch of 66 but it's worth it. Further East there is aloop of old 66 that you can get on someplace west of Flagstaff. It goes through Peach Springs and Hackberry and ends up just outside Kingman. You can drive on 66 right through Kingman. Mr D'z diner in Kingman is a good food stop. It's an old 50s style diner with good burgers.
http://www.mrdzrt66diner.com/

If you are going to take sections of 66, have good maps. The 66 signs keep getting stolen

You can't find this advice elsewhere. I knew I could count on BITOG. You can bet money that I will visit Oatman.
I have a good Rand McNally road atlas that I will take with me. I also have a GPS but I'm loath to use it - it takes away the adventure and unknown factor to an extent.
Thanks man :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back