Rotella T5 Syntheric blend at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T5 10W30 is really tempting me! With a pour point that low it is begging the question for what percent PAO it is. Currently I am running 15W40 in a GM 3800 Series II for an AutoRX phase. The car is in Delaware for the winter. The starts on even 30F mornings have been nasty to say the least. Usually my car turns at 1st crank with a 5W30 or 10W30. Also the vehicle feels sluggish. Perhaps this part is mental. I ran GC 0W30 before which is technically a very heavy 30 weight with no sluggish feeling. I wanted to run a 10W30 HDEO but had difficulty up until now buying it retail over the counter. T5 has changed that. My only dilemna is do I want to keep running near complete Group4/5 Syns or go down to GroupIII/4/5 blends.

Any evidence there are esters in T5? Since T5 is only available in 4 qt jugs I am mulling a few options. My system is fill is about 5qts. Maybe 1jug T5 + a 10W30 qt of ...M1 EP?...M1 Standard...Redline...PP? What chemistry would be least obnoxious thanks! Redline + T5 would seem to make a group5 blend wouls perhaps give me the homemade benefits of an ARX maintenence dose.

i'd love to get more feedback on the rotella t5.. is it a worthy alternative to high mileage oils? i'm trying to decide if its worth putting this in a 1999 honda crv with a 140k miles or just using shell formula 5w30

What is different compared to the Rotella T 10W-30 that they were selling before. Obviously the bottle, name and price is different. Is it better or the same? I would hope it is better since it costs a lot more.

The T5 is a synthetic blend Group II/and some PAO where the regular Rotella T 10W-30 it replaced was a straight Group II base stock oil. The additive package is also a little different than the older product.

Originally Posted By: outrun
Rotella T5 10W30 is really tempting me! With a pour point that low it is begging the question for what percent PAO it is. Currently I am running 15W40 in a GM 3800 Series II for an AutoRX phase. The car is in Delaware for the winter. The starts on even 30F mornings have been nasty to say the least. Usually my car turns at 1st crank with a 5W30 or 10W30. Also the vehicle feels sluggish. Perhaps this part is mental. I ran GC 0W30 before which is technically a very heavy 30 weight with no sluggish feeling. I wanted to run a 10W30 HDEO but had difficulty up until now buying it retail over the counter. T5 has changed that. My only dilemna is do I want to keep running near complete Group4/5 Syns or go down to GroupIII/4/5 blends.

Any evidence there are esters in T5? Since T5 is only available in 4 qt jugs I am mulling a few options. My system is fill is about 5qts. Maybe 1jug T5 + a 10W30 qt of ...M1 EP?...M1 Standard...Redline...PP? What chemistry would be least obnoxious thanks! Redline + T5 would seem to make a group5 blend wouls perhaps give me the homemade benefits of an ARX maintenence dose.
15w-40 is pretty thick at 32*F

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I'm VERY TEMPTED to give this a try in my 06 PSD. But, of course, its spec'd for a 15w-40 and I'm in south Louisiana.

I don't know....... I'm tempted.

i have an '07 powerstroke and switched to 10w-30 last fall, check your owners manual it specs 10w-30 up to 95`f

just sent off an uoa today, when i recieve it i'll post in the uoa section.

i'm running the deere plus 50 and i plan on running it year around (pending uoa), i'm in nothern ohio and -20 starts were good, i know that temp you'll never see in louisiana, but we see 90+ sometimes during the summer.
according to the deere specs their 10w-30 is good to 105`f.

the advantage to 10w-30 vs. 5w-40 syn is the price, 10w-30 is generally about half of what 5w-40 syn

Originally Posted By: Steve S
[/quote] 15w-40 is pretty thick at 32*F

And for any vehicle that has a temperature vs viscosity chart, 15w- oils are OK for down to roughly 0F.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I'm VERY TEMPTED to give this a try in my 06 PSD. But, of course, its spec'd for a 15w-40 and I'm in south Louisiana.

I don't know....... I'm tempted.

I've been using the new Rotella T5 10w30 for the past 10,000 miles, and I live in TX. Runs smooth, and slightly better fuel economy! And its just $16/gallon, my kind of price!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And for any vehicle that has a temperature vs viscosity chart, 15w- oils are OK for down to roughly 0F. [/quote] I run it in my wifes powerstroke. I think the powerstroke and John deere manual recommend 15*f I have seem other oil charts as you mentioned.

Powerstroke, I would just use the T5 for 5000 mile OCI. For 10k mile interval the ACD would hold up longer and make sense at twice the price ($32/gal). I could not justify that high price for only 5k miles of use.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And for any vehicle that has a temperature vs viscosity chart, 15w- oils are OK for down to roughly 0F.
I run it in my wifes powerstroke. I think the powerstroke and John deere manual recommend 15*f I have seem other oil charts as you mentioned. [/quote]

They may be OK but have you ever heard the valve and tappet racket (talking gas engines here) caused by a 15wXX oil at even 20F? Mobil 1 15w50 sounded terrible in my V8 engine this late fall on cold startup. Switching over to a 5wXX or 0wXX synthetic was like night and day.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Powerstroke, I would just use the T5 for 5000 mile OCI. For 10k mile interval the ACD would hold up longer and make sense at twice the price ($32/gal). I could not justify that high price for only 5k miles of use.

I do. I guess i meant to say, I have been running the T5 for the past 2 OCI (10,000 miles). Im sure the Amsoil ACD is a better oil, but like you, I can't justify paying the price for it if I'm going to dump it at 5,000 miles. I dont care what oil it is, I dont go further than 5,000 miles. So I stick with the Shell Rotella T5 10w30 diesel oil..

I saw this oil tonight at my local Wal-Mart. I believe that this will be a hot seller for SOPUS. $4 per quart is approaching sythetic territory but I bet this stuff will have stellar UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back