Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look where playing bumber cars like Earnhardt did got him.

This is NASCAR, not 10 MPH demo-derby. That kind of stuff can kill others who were not part of it.

watch

Nascar is desparate to change it's business model and, sadly, has approached the edge. The only thing that prevents a "figure 8 destruction derby" mentality is fan saftey (or liability.) Once they get the spoilers back on the cars & dump the wings, it'll be back to the show-biz type of "racing" it needs to be to survive in today's marketplace. Too bad, but few are going to watch a true stockcar race on an oval without bangin & pushin.

Carl made the mistake at Talladega last year and Sunday at Atlanta of expecting Keslowski to cut him a break. Hopefully, from now on he will be more observant of who he is driving around. Both wrecks were caused by Carl moving down on K when he was not quite clear.

My observation regarding the wreck it self is that something seems to be wrong with the tubing system on, at least, Keslowski's car. It seemed to deform a lot more than has been normal in the past. Also, when these COT's are turned around backwards at speed, they lift up and turn a flip. just like the 39 car did a few races ago. Hopefully, the removing of the wing and replacing it with a spoiler will help with this problem.

What Nascar needs to decide is how far it's going to allow it's drivers to go with intentional contact, etc. If it decides that retaining market share is priority 1, then it's got to design the cars and tracks around that level of racertainment. I for one say go for it - increase the size of the catch fences and maybe add an old school bus going the wrong way for added ratings. Just as long as they leave F1 alone (I still say that open-wheeled racing is where the big-boys play.)
I never minded watching some great drivers on the big ovals just racing. Wasn't the most exciting thing, but at least it was honest. This circus [censored] is going to burn them in the end.
JMO
Bill

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Smokey used to say that the last ever NASCAR race will be when one goes over the wall and wipes out a section of crowd...

I agree. Unfortunately, NASCAR put another nail in their own coffin when they failed to discipline Carl Edwards by suspending his racing privileges in both series for his act of stupidity.

I don't think that Edwards will be the one to cause the "big one" that kills some fans, but someone else will see there is no real punishment for wrecking an opponent and will push the envelope over the edge killing either a driver and/or some fans. The personal injury trial lawyers must be salivating over NASCAR's decision to slap Edwards on the wrist.

If I get into it with someone on the track, no matter how stupid, we will settle it off the track, hopefully not with fists but that is where you settle it. Punting someone off the track at any speed is taking their life into the hands of your own stupidity and rage. I don't want to be anywhere near that idiot and I don't want to run with an organization that permits this kind of horse behavior on track.

Its time for NASCAR to fail...where is V8 Supercup? [censored], that could save the big-3!

..."Its time for NASCAR to fail...where is V8 Supercup? [censored], that could save the big-3! "
Good point. Only a few years ago Nascar really had nothing "stock" to race. Now we've got the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang in various versions - why not base race cars on those platforms and get back to some real mfg. competition. Also, we could invite some of the Aussie V8 racers up here & get some international rivalries going (like the old Can Am?)
Whatever Nascar does, it'll have to choose between abandoning it's base market - fans of true motor racing; or move on to newer forms of crash 'n burn type "racing." The two just don't mix.
Also, as you mentioned, in the old SCCA club racing days, you always took your problems "behind the trailer" where stuff was settled. It just never got settled on the track.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Instead of 'V8 Supercup', why not just revive (and call it) the Trans Am Series??? (since the SCCA was mentioned
wink.gif
)

A 21st century TransAm really sounds good, especially since Nascar already runs on some road courses and the various ovals would actually be fun to watch.
Sure better than the current cookie-cutter cars with different headlight/grille decals.

Look back, way back, further, before Bill France's influence. The real roots from the 1920's was running contraband on back country roads, if only people started thinking about organizing stage rallys instead which would have more definitively prover who was the best at running from the law. What some may see as eurotrash is more truthful to the roots.
NASCAR has turned in a billion dollar drama festival.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back