My Ram shutting off while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got home from work. It's an hour ride mostly highway. Lucky because the engine shut off on me twice, within a mile from my house. Check engine light has been on for 2 days so tomorrow will have to go get the code read. It's a 2004 Dodge Ram PU SLT 4x4 with 86K miles. I'm sure there are lots of possibilities but would appreciate any hints. It would have been scary if it happened on highway.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Can you turn the key on 3x in 5 seconds to read the code?

I don't have a code reader. Will get one tomorrow or go to Autozone to borrow theirs. Just curious if this a common
problem or if any one had this problem with same truck?

Getting the code(s) is your first step. Let us know what you find so we can help.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Getting the code(s) is your first step. Let us know what you find so we can help.

10-4.

I had a dodge truck with a similar problem, it turned out that the fuel pump would fail after a number of miles, try driving it with a fuel line pressure gauge on it.

If you tun the key from off to on 3x in 5 seconds leaving it on the last time, the computer will output the code(s) to the odometer display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
If you tun the key from off to on 3x in 5 seconds leaving it on the last time, the computer will output the code(s) to the odometer display.

I'll give it a shot, thx.

All Chryslers have done this since fuel injection.

My 88 LeBaron did it, and my 2001 Neon did it. Very useful, and one great thing about owning a Chrysler product (at the time there were other good things) but not so much anymore.

Strange. It works on my step-moms 2004 1500. On-Off-On-Off-On...the odo should go blank then a few seconds later start outputting codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'm back from autozone. the codes are

P0404 egr FLOW ckt RANGE/performance
and P0406 egr FLOW SENSOR A circuit High input

17 mile round trip no incident.

So it's working again? Did it cut off like a switch? I think your crank pickup sensor is on its way out. This will sometimes not throw a code it happens so fast, and the computer thinks, oh, zero RPM, life is good.

The EGR stuff will at worst give you a wonky idle and you'll barely feel it under load.

SYMPTOM
P0406-EGR POSITION SENSOR HIGH

WHEN MONITORED
With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts .

SET CONDITION
EGR position sensor signal is greater than 4.89 for more than 3.1875 seconds . One trip Fault. Three good trips to clear the MIL.

SYMPTOM
P0404-EGR POSITION SENSOR PERFORMANCE

WHEN MONITORED
Engine running.

SET CONDITION
The EGR flow or valve movement is not what is expected.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So it's working again?

Engine shut off twice last night but it started up again no problems.

I cleared the codes (I bought a reader from Walmart). Took 2 laps around the block. Had the blower/heat on high and noticed it kindah fluctuated a couple of times. Like it was gonna shutoff and the voltage meter on dashboard went low then back up for a second. In other words like it wanted to shutoff. The MIL didn't come back on though.

Did it stall at idle or just rolling down the road?

rolling down the road.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did it cut off like a switch? I think your crank pickup sensor is on its way out.

Thanks. I just checked Rock Auto. Those little things are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back